Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

head gaskets for BB chevy

rjcomp
06-23-2008, 11:56 PM
I need help, I was given a BB chevy years ago with a 396 short block and 336781 heads. I was told it had high compression ( 13.5 to 1). I want to buy a good set of head gaskets for it but there are so many types and thickness available, Im an old pontiac guy. Can any one help?

rjcomp@hotmail.com
:banghead:

MrPbody
06-24-2008, 08:20 AM
RJ,

As one old Pontiac guy to another, HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM............

Anyway, Flepro Performance part number 1017-1 for "normal" thickness and 1017-2 for "extra thick". The latter will slightly lower compression and increase valve-to-piston clearance, if necessary. Depending on the cam you're running, that should be measured.

Cometic are the hot lick today. Expensive. But we use them in applications with up to 14:1 without o-rings. Also very good for blown or nitrous applications. AllPontiac.com is my source for them (they WILL sell Chevy part numbers).

SCE is also quite popular. They offer a dead-soft copper unit anywhere from .030" to .120" thick. These are ideal for o-rings.

You ARE aware, all the changes in "Pontiac-land". right? No longer a need to use BBC to go fast, reliably. Lots of new Pontiac "goodies". There were probably 15 7 second door cars at Pontiacs In The Park last month. No less than 30 8 second cars, and dozens in the 9s. Keep watching here, and you'll read about the quickest Pontiac in history very soon! Should be in the low 6s, high 5s. TA/FC, just not a "hemi"... (:-

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!