My New Project...

GSXBMX
06-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Well, I recently aquired a 1990 eagle talon tsi awd.I picked it up from a guy locally for $500.00.The timing belt had snapped and caused some engine damager.The car itself is soooo clean.Interior looks like it just came off the show room floor and the exterior is dent free,fade free,and has only one 3"x2" rust spot on the rear drivers side fender.I've decided to make this my new and ultimate project.Below I will make a list of all future plans for the car.I will post pictures of the car as it sits now in just a few days and as the parts start to get purchased and put on the car I will post updated pictures along the way.I would love to hear feedback from anyone who actually decides to read this.

I will be completely honest with all of you.I am no master mechanic but I know some stuff.I will be doing some of the installation and work myself and I will be sourcing some of the work out to other mechanics and machine shops in the area.So,what do you guys think of my setup plans?Also,what do you guys think with a good tune this car will put down for numbers?

BLOCK-
wiseco 9.0:1 pistons with wiseco rings and locks
eagle h-beam connecting rods
arp rod bolts
arp main studs
arp head studs
acl race series main/rod bearings
top line water pump
JAM oil pump kit
*as well as the block will be in the machine shop to be cleaned up properly*

HEAD-
manley exhaust/intake valves in standard size
sbi bronze valve guides
manley performance series valve srings
manley retainers
manley locks
top line revised lifters
ferrea valve stem seals
top line rocker arms
fidanza cam gears
brian crower stage 2 camshafts 272/272
cometic head gasket

TURBO SETUP-
20g turbo w/ internal wastegate
ss braided oil feed/return lines
tubular manifold
slowboyracing street fmic kit-includes core and all piping
hks ssqv blow off valve

FUEL SYSTEM-
walbro 255lph high pressure fuel pump
aeromotive fpr w/ complete return kit and gauge
PTE ball & seat injectors- 880cc

EXHAUST SYSTEM-
dsm 3" o2 housing eliminator
apexi 3" downpipe
magnaflow 3" high flow cat
thermal r&d cat-back exhaust

BRAKES-
baer big brake kit-front
goodridge stainless brake line kit
normal brembo rear rotors
monroe ceramic rear brake pads

TRANSMISSION-
shepherd racing stage 1 rebuild
act 2600 clutch kit w/ street disc
goodridge ss clutch line
fidanza short shifter kit

COOLING-
koyo aluminum radiator
12" slim line fan
10" slim line fan

GAUGES-
dsm black triple gauge pod for pillar
megan racing oil temp gauge
megan racing egt gauge
megan racing boost gauge

EXTRAS-
NGK BPR8ES Plugs
magnacore 10mm plug wires

WHEELS-
17" adr sodoku rims- black w/ polished lip

TIRES-
yokohama advan neova ad07 225/45zr17

SUSPENSION-
megan racing coilovers- 32 way adjustable
front/rear strut tower bars
ingalls rear camber kit
eibach front camber bolt kit

SAFETY-
takata racing 4pt. harness'
(2) sparco steel race seats
8pt. race roll cage

So,what do you guys think?Is there anything I should change out for a different product?Is there anything I should add to this list?

ned032002
06-23-2008, 07:00 AM
How soon you looking to do all this work? Have you estimated your cost yet?

Thor06
06-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Question is do you have 25 grand laying around for parts and labor?

EDIT: I should chime in with my advice here. Starting off with a huge list like that is a great way to get discouraged and drop it before it really even gets started. Before you start worrying about built motors and roll cages you should figure out what you want the car to do. Do you want it to do road courses or staight lines? Pure track bred racecar or street driven weekend warrior? Once you decide what you want it to do, you have to decided what you want out of it and what your budget is. For example, that many thousand dollar brake setup you have there is going to go to complete waste unless you're going to be a pretty hardcore road course or auto x'er.

Another thing you shouldnt do is marry yourself to a particular brand or certain part. For instance, the 20g is a good turbo, but its wickedly expensive for what it is... you could get a PTE turbo quite a bit bigger than that for less. On that same token, PTE injectors are quite a bit more than FIC's IIRC, plus they dont fit quite as well.

Start small, young grasshopper. Aim to get the car running before you pop a huge wood over a $20k+ parts list. After that, shoot for a modest power goal, like 250-300 hp or something. By then if you still want more you should have amassed enough knowledge to know how to do it.

Oh, and I have a spare good head that you might want if you plan on just slapping a new on on instead of rebuilding that one, let me know if you're interested. :)

Blackcrow64
06-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Just curious, but why do you have two different sized slimline fans listed? Have you considered a wideband and tuning devices to go with this setup?

And of course like Thor brought up... Do you even realize the cost here? This setup is near what mine was and I'm in over 15k on mine and I did mostly everything myself except for my machine work and my Shep tranny build...

Add your comment to this topic!