new struts and still clunking!

roush028
06-22-2008, 01:34 PM
2000 GT. 150000k. just replaced the rear two struts with brand new monroe struts and masterpro mounts. a guy told me the clunkin i was hearing was from the mounts, well it still does the same thing. everytime i go over a spot in the road where its raised up or drops down it clunks like crazy. just rough spots. any body have any ideas? we checked things over a little to see if all the bushings were fine and from what we saw it all lookedd good. but also the inside edge of the rear tires are wearing very fast compared to the rest....almost like its out of camber or whatever. will the new struts help with that or do i need to take it to a shop to have them align it and what not?

BNaylor
06-22-2008, 06:03 PM
:shakehead

Whenever you install new struts and it doesn't make any difference if it was just the front end or rear end you need a 4 wheel alignment performed.

Clunking or any other noises associated with the upper strut mounts is common with aftermarket struts and upper mounts. I have always recommended that members use the GM OE mounts only and not to use any Monroe struts.

tblake
06-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Second that Bob! Learned my lesson.

roush028
06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
well the strut mounts were the exact same thing which was weird. so im trying to get pointed in the right direction as to what to check next because it sounds like its coming up top from the mounts but i dont know how it could be them because the noise is the exact same regardless of the new mounts. any other ideas here? im going to replace the front ones also because with 150000k they probably need it and theres also a clunk comin from the front and the strut mounts up top look pretty bad so im hopin with new OEM mounts and struts that it will fix that problem. please help someone...

srlash
06-23-2008, 07:13 PM
well the strut mounts were the exact same thing which was weird. so im trying to get pointed in the right direction as to what to check next because it sounds like its coming up top from the mounts but i dont know how it could be them because the noise is the exact same regardless of the new mounts. any other ideas here? im going to replace the front ones also because with 150000k they probably need it and theres also a clunk comin from the front and the strut mounts up top look pretty bad so im hopin with new OEM mounts and struts that it will fix that problem. please help someone...
Did you check the rear sway bar links?

roush028
06-29-2008, 08:27 PM
no i havent but i will def look at those. any other ideas? and im going to replace the front two and i was wondering if it would matter if i put KYB struts on instead of Monroe like the back cuz i heard they are better or should i stick with monroe?

srlash
06-29-2008, 11:45 PM
no i havent but i will def look at those. any other ideas? and im going to replace the front two and i was wondering if it would matter if i put KYB struts on instead of Monroe like the back cuz i heard they are better or should i stick with monroe?

No other ideas at this time, other than the rear sway bar
links. They are notorious for failing. The sound you are
describing just might be sway bar links related. As far as
struts and upper strut mounts go, I have installed at all
4 corners strut mounts from advanced auto. The rear struts
were replaced on my car with the Monroe brand. To be
honest with you I have no complaints at all with any of the
suspension components I have installed. No abnormal sounds
or any other problems for that matter.

Steve

sscrash
07-11-2008, 07:42 PM
I have a 2000 that I had my struts replaced and strut mount plates...still had the noise...just the other day my back wheel starting vibrating like it loose...took it to the shop...its was the rear stabilizer arm...and my clunking noises are gone now

tblake
07-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Hey guys, not sure if the OP is still having problems, but I put a new set of front struts in with a set of monroe mounts and bearings.

well, the bearings made noise from day two of using them, and mounts aren't really making a clunking noise, but I can feel them clunking in my feet and in the steering wheel every time my front wheels go oer a bump.

I'm getting that junk out of there. What a waste of money and time. I will never buy monroe anything again!

BTW, I know my clunk and sound issues are the mounts and bearings. It was never like this before I replaced them. I have new ac-delco parts for the front, and as soon as I have a day off that an alignment shop is open, I'm gonna replace them and have it alined.

Add your comment to this topic!