Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Another slow hatch kill...

CassiesMan
06-21-2008, 01:44 PM
I actually have quite an epic race from the other night I'll get around to posting, but the epic-ness requires some epic writing, and I'm not in the mood right now.

Anyway. Last Saturday, I was just chilling with the girl when a buddy of mine who just picked up one of the new STIs called me up, wanted to go cruising. We had tried to set up a meet earlier that night, but it had turned into a fail because people act like going from Dallas to Ft. Worth is the same thing as crossing the Gobi desert on foot. So I talk to the girl, and she is all up for some cruising. So we meet up with my friend and his buddy at the Red Bull X Game cross motorcycle thing or whatever just in time to see Pastrana destroy the front end of his STI, to which I make the suggestion we hike it out to the Subaru dealership where I am 90% positive they were gonna fix it and steal it. My buddy just laughs and says I couldn't handle an STI.

Oh fuck that.

We eventually make it out to the cruising part, and I take him on a nice high speed tour of the local highways. I know the area pretty well, and he never really did any cruising or racing in his last car (Jetta with I think the VR6 motor) because he is more a sound guy. Now he's into racing, and he's having a bit of trouble keeping up, a fact my girl keeps reminding him about via text messages. As is becoming the norm, there was some cannonballing, but no real racing. I take him on a nice, not really twisty but sweepy back road, then we decided to head back home. Getting on the highway, I jump on it hard in first, spin through first, most of second, and chirp into third. I think at this point he has had enough of my little ol' Mazda hatch kicking dirt in the face of the big bad STI.

He lines up next to me as we get on the highway, going around sixty. Bad idea home slice. He hits it first, I let him get about a nose on me before I jump on it in fourth. Lag a touch, then I kill his pull and I'm quickly even with him. All the way through fourth I'm pulling pretty slowly but steadily, and by the time I shift into fifth, his nose is at my rear bumper. I no lift shift to fifth at around a buck, and I actually get a decent ump from there. The legendary Subaru all wheel drive system doesn't do dirt or dog shit on the big end, and by 115, I have a full length on him, and he isn't getting any closer. I shut down around a buck twenty, and he pulls up next to me with a huge grin and thumbs up.

For what its worth, since my last adventure, I installed the catless three inch midpipe, went with a set of NGK one step colder plugs, and I'm on my third run of that Enos oil which, according to IT, actually does free up a pony here or there. Next up is fixing my intercooler (possibly an upgraded top mount if I can find a decent condition second hand one), then wheels, then I'm calling it quits, unless a better flash option comes out than the Cobb.

Cliff Notes: Suck it Trebek.

UnderEstimate Me
06-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Haha, way to kill someone's "new car" ego.

He is probably searching for ms3's on craigslist right now. Or will challenge you to a race on ice next time.

subieskier
06-21-2008, 08:22 PM
The MS3 really seems to respond to simple mods like CAI and exhaust. On NASIOC a Stage 2 STI driver posted a 13.2, barely beating an MS3 (.19 sec) with nothing more than a CAI.

You should track that thing sometime.

silentscreams85
06-21-2008, 09:55 PM
nice kill. was he stock?

UnderEstimate Me
06-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Makes me wish an intake did something for our cars. All youre buying is pretty much the sound.

MZR_47
06-22-2008, 04:34 PM
yeah some MS3s get 15whp to 20whp from a frickin CAI. I got maybe half that. But yeah, its for the sound in my case too.

CassiesMan
06-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Yeah, bolt ons love this car. I can say that for sure. One of the local guys with a full bolt on Speed3 (I/TBE/Manifold/Fuel Pump/BOV/TMIC) held almost even with an untuned Speed3 with a built motor and 3071r. I do have to give it that credit.

UnderEstimate Me
06-24-2008, 03:57 AM
I dont know why, but there are not many ms3's around here. Ive only seen one. Great looking cars.

Add your comment to this topic!