Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gsxr 1000?

jayjack
06-20-2008, 11:34 AM
hey i work at a dealership and someone traded in a gsxr 1000 today and i love it. i have enought money to put a good ammount down and keep up with the insurance and payments without much trouble. i'm pretty sure i know the answer but could some one tell me if this is a bad bike to get for my first bike?

Greenblurr93
06-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, do you have previous motorcycle experience? like dirt bikes or anything? the 1000 is an extremely fast and nimble bike and you can get yourself in trouble real easy if your not careful...

richtazz
06-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Unless you have prior dirt bike experience as mentioned above, and a good head on your shoulders (most 23 year-olds I know do not!!), you'll kill yourself on it as a first bike.

Sheresh07
06-20-2008, 06:53 PM
hey i work at a dealership and someone traded in a gsxr 1000 today and i love it. i have enought money to put a good ammount down and keep up with the insurance and payments without much trouble. i'm pretty sure i know the answer but could some one tell me if this is a bad bike to get for my first bike?

I would say yes and I've never been on a Sport Bike yet, but from what I hear from anyone who rides, it's a very bad idea for you to get something like that as a first bike, especially without any previous experience.

You should read the Sticky at the top about what bikes are good to start on. That bike, if you have no or little experience is basically an expensive form of suicide.

speediva
06-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Just curious, but how is it that you work at a dealership and are not familiar with good starter bikes?

Greenblurr93
06-21-2008, 12:15 PM
it may not be a bike dealership

speediva
06-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Most auto dealers in/around southwestern PA won't take trades on bikes to buy another vehicle... I assumed since the Gix was a trade that it was a bike dealership. :sly:

Anyhoo, for an answer to the original poster, please read the stickied threads, or run a search for "first bike" to gain advice and insight into what constitutes a good starter bike. :grinyes:

es_class
07-05-2008, 11:54 PM
I worked at a ford dealership earlier this year...and they took an 07 honda vtx1800 as a trade in. I thought it wasn't something that was common practice but depending on the bike and circumstances...it is. They claimed they took it in for 7200 and but I heard they paid 6800 and our internet dept. Had buyers the next day somewhere in the neighborhood of 9g's. The bike was super clean. I wanted it. As far as getting that 1000...I always talk about my own experience with a 98 zx1100 as my first bike but I can tell u that with something like the gsxr..with ur age..probable lack of experience...the throttle response/power..and weight of the bike... suicide. Especially in the event of a panic with no instinctive skills gained from practice. At the end of the day u r gonna do what u want to but...take the knowledge of experienced riders into consideration. No one wants to see u get hurt or die. Its that serious.

72chevelleOhio
07-06-2008, 04:06 AM
I went to a Hummer dealer and took a Harley Night Train for a test ride 2 years ago....They always have a couple bikes. ( :confused: who would trade a bike for an H2??? :shakehead )

Add your comment to this topic!