Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Having serious fuel pump issues

irhino2
06-19-2008, 06:12 PM
I am really hoping someone can help me out here. I have a 1992 Firebird 3.1 v6. My fuel pump would intermittently stop working. When this problem occured the pump would not prime once the key was turned forward. Prior to replacing the fuel pump, the relay began to buzz. I have replaced the fuel pump, the relay, and the wiring on the sending unit. The problem still exists. Once the key is turned forward, you can hear the new relay trying to engage, the fuel pump is also trying to engage (still have the sending unit out of the tank), but the pump will not fully engage.

I am suspecting a ground or wiring issue somewhere. Does anyone know where the fuel pump grounds in this car. I have been told that it may ground at the computer. I am at a complete loss here. I've been working on this for over a week now, and this is my daily driver. So, I'm really starting to get frustrated since I have no way to get to work. I've looked for a fuel pump fuse, but can't seem to find one anywhere. Read in an earlier thread that it was supposed to be by the battery. I've searched everywhere under the hood and by the other fuses under the dash panel. Still can't find one anywhere. Would a poor connection in the fuse cause this issue??

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP??

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Morley
06-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Yes, it does ground in the ECM, that is how the pump is turned on, the ECM provides a ground. Disconnect your battery then disconnect your ECM connectors and reconnect them (look for corrosion while you have them off) then hook up the battery and see if that helps.

irhino2
06-19-2008, 11:05 PM
I tried that. The pump kicked on for a second, but then started doing the exact same thing. Could it be the ground for the ECM? I wouldn't think that is the problem cause that would cause everything to be acting up instead of just the fuel pump. The connectors didn't look like they are corroded. The ECM isn't the original one. It seems someone else has changed it in the past. I guess my next step is to replace the ECM. I just hate to keep spending money not knowing what the real problem is. Especially since, I'm loosing money without being able to get to work. :crying:

Morley
06-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Check all of your grounds on the engine. Don't let it keep you from driving the car, if you have to put a ground wire from the relay to a latching toggle switch. Get in, turn the car on, flip the toggle and with power on it will latch and stay on. Then start the car. When you shut it off the toggle will switch off automatically.

irhino2
06-20-2008, 06:37 PM
Picked up a new ECM today. I'll be installing in here soon. Not sure how you are talking about with grounding the relay. I was told that was a good way to backfeed the system. I originally was going to just wire in a toggle on a fused line directly to the fuel pump, but I was told by a reliable source that wasn't going to be good the the system at all. So, I didn't do it. I'll go install the new ECM and see what happens. I'm going to be VERY upset if it doesn't fix the problem. It's the last thing I can think would cause the problem.

rather_b_boatin
06-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Is it possible you got a bad, new relay? You could test it easy enough.

irhino2
06-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm about to blow a gasket here. I replaced the ECM and still the same problem!!! So, here I am $300 spent but not a thing to show for it.

I'm at a complete loss. I have no idea how to test the relay. I really don't know what else the problem could be. I checked the 3 grounds under the hood that I could find. So, I don't think that's the issue. I'm normally a really good mechanic, but this is starting to make me second guess that. lol

I thought about bypassing the relay and just wiring the pump on a toggle or something. I was told that wasn't a good idea. I figured it would give me the opportunity to at least see if it was the pump. I just don't know anymore. It's getting real frustrating on this end!!!

Add your comment to this topic!