Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Steering columm needs adjusting-How?

hink12341234
06-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I wrote about this sometime ago and did a search but I can't find the thread. I have a 2004 Cavalier. The problem is the steering columm is not lined up right. It's about 1 inch to far to the right. I know it's off because the plastic around the steering columm is pushed up against the dash on the right side. On the left side of the columm there is a sizeable gap. Yesterday I was looking at a 2004 Cavalier and the steering columm was straight and the gap on both sides of the steering columm was equal. Have also checked other Cavaliers and there all straight. I don't like this cause when you are driving, the steering wheel is always off center and i'm thinking it can't be good to have the steering columm on somewhat of a bind. Is it possible to take part of the dash apart and staighten out the steering wheel and columm? Thanks!

Classicrocjunkie
06-18-2008, 08:26 PM
There are 4 bolts which hold the steering column in place. You'd have to remove the whole plastic dash unit to get to all of them. But yes, you should be able to find the cause of your problem.

Add your comment to this topic!