Going to the track for the first time

TorchedStealth
06-17-2008, 12:26 PM
So as the title says I am going to the track with a few friends this weekend. We are driving 3 hours because we live in North Dakota and its the closest 1/4 mile track to us lol. MZR may be going also, so if anyone has tips for me (us) that would be awesome. I think i have a plan on how hard to launch and to turn on the defroster on high heat after going through the traps, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, let's start making some bets on how the noobie does at the track! lol

MrPbody
06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Well, not knowing what car you have or how it's equipped, I can't make an educated guess about performance... However...

First time? RELAX! HAVE FUN! You're not going to be John Force on your first trip down the track. By that, I mean, I have seen many people disappointed with their own performance their first time. Don't be. As long as you keep the shiny side "up" and keep it between the lines, your day will be a success. As long as you show improvement each pass, again, a success. You won't extract the maximum from your car this time. Don't let that bug you. You won't go as fast as many of those you "hang" with say they'd go. If it were easy, EVERYONE would do it.

But again, mainly, HAVE FUN! Don't take it too seriously, as it's not a "profession" except to the elite few. If you're good, you'll know it. As you learn, you'll get better. But there's ALWAYS someone out there 'better" or faster. Never forget that!

Good luck and be safe!

Jim

CivRacer95
06-17-2008, 07:34 PM
A few suggestions...

1. If you are going (and you plan on being in the pit all day), packs snacks, lawn chairs, and a good supply of drinks. When I had the chance to go to RMR in Utah, I never knew what it was like. Fortunately for a fellow Moderator and Friend, Kris along with Steve, I was lucky enough to have some nourishment. They were kind enough to pack enough for more than just themselves. Although, to point out, some dragstrips may not allow food and such to be in the pit grounds.

2. If you have a set of drag radials (use these when you get there), or just some crappy tires you can throw on to save your good ones until you get there, do so. It will save the pain of trying to launch on not-so-good tires. Which will help your self esteem if you get a decent time your first time there.

3. As Mr.Pbody explained, have fun! Enjoy the company of others, and don't be afraid to approach someone with an extremely nice vehicle. They are alot more open to people admiring their cars. Take in each tip anyone can give you, because a lot of guys have been there on quite a few occassions (generally know a thing or two).

Hope you have fun! And yes, don't expect to be a pro right off the first launch. My prediciton would be a mid to low 15 by the end of the day. And if you are warmed up after a few launches, quite possibly a high 14. Good luck!

MZR_47
06-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Well screw you guys. Im going to run it until i hit a 14.0 or I am not leaving.

Just kidding :D

No, I dont plan on doing well at all, I fail epicly at launching. So im going to have some fun. Thanks for the tips on food, I hadnt thought of that. Poptarts and Mountain Dew FTW!

I just slapped some Nexen N3000s on the SS and they have like 500 miles on them, if that. launched once. So they should be fine when we get there.

Chiquae07
06-18-2008, 02:17 AM
i know that when the cousin had the j-body, the best rpm to launch at for him was about 2800. idk how much of a difference it would make with the cobalt or the redline.

i can say this too, that when your in the lines waiting to run, if its busy, you might as well just push your car. keeps you active and something to do while waiting. you might also want to put a little lower psi in the tires than you normally would. around 28-30 should do the trick.

MZR_47
06-18-2008, 05:33 PM
its supposed to be where you can come down after your run and wait maybe one or two runs and you are up again. Thats what Bob told us anyways, and he has gone many times. So hopefully its that way again. We got about 8 of us from Bismarck driving down there so its going to be interstate runs galore :D

Add your comment to this topic!