Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 nissan p/u speed sensor

georgest
06-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi folks..The speed sensor on my truck has apparently gone bad..1-intermittent speedometer..2-computer coded bad speed sensor. Is the speed sensor a simple remove and replace part? I would assume the computer would then have to be reset. Right? Wrong? Input would be appreciated and thanks

georgest
06-17-2008, 04:59 PM
:smokin:Hi Folks, I will answer my own question. The vehicle speed sensor is a remove and replace part. It shook me for a second though, till I figured out to take the little splined gear off the end of the shaft and put it on the new part. It seems to be working fine. An expensive little gizmo, though cheaper from ebay than the dealer...by half. The mechanic I talked to said after a certain number of key cycles without a hitch the computer will reset itself. I'll see. I hope this will help someone. And thanks to me a lot.:wink:

Dean-o
09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Speedometer quit on my 95 pickup too a couple weeks ago. After some research realized speed sensor may be bad. Pulled it out from side of trans. {5spd. manual} and realized shaft was locked up & plastic gear on end of shaft was damaged. searched for a week trying to locate used speed sensor from salvage yards. ended up ordering new from dealer for nearly$200. Put back together and guess what, speedometer still didn't work. Pulled dash to check electrical plug on back of printed circuit. .found nothing wrong & reinstalled dash. Drove it a few times and finally speedometer started working. not sure but think computer resets speedo after several cycles. Hope it continues to work.While I was down at trans. decided to change fluid as It never had been changed previously.

Add your comment to this topic!