wheel bearing grease problem

ksaegusa
06-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Hello, a friend and I just replaced the rotors and after we packed the bearings with grease and bolted everything back up, there was a vibration while going down the road at speed. then when my friend looked at one of the hubs (right side only) the grease had melted. the other side was fine. the wheel bearings themselves were good before.

what is the problem?

Where is my 3.4
06-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I would check to see how tight the bearing are make sure your with in spec . Make sure the brakes are not draging

ksaegusa
06-19-2008, 01:55 AM
what is the spec on that big bolt (32mm?) thats holds on the hub and bearings? maybe i put it on too tight. then again, i thought it should be pretty tight saying it holds on everything?

Flash75
06-19-2008, 05:05 AM
You should remove the bearings again and inspect them for discoloration, blue is bad. Replace if damaged and start over.

You didn't say if you have two wheel drive, I assume you do? Look at the top of this forum, you will see Tacoma shop manuals. Find one that is the best fit for your truck and look under front suspension. In general you tighten to around 20-25 lb. ft. and then back off until the nut can be turned by hand. Check the pull with a fish scale or use a dial indicator to check the end play, about .002". If you don't have the tools back the nut off until it can just be turned by hand and tighten just enough to align the lock cap to a cotter pin hole. Insert the cotter pin and dust cap.
The cotter pin keeps the nut from coming off.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!