Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Street or DOT Tires?

SkylineUSA
03-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Wheelie on street tires (http://skank.fiendish.net/~ekool/goodrichwheelie.jpg)

Here is a turboed Mustang, no N2O.

I made a mistake, we have Stangs in the 7's on street tires, V8 Turbos Baby:p

sami
03-05-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by SkylineUSA
I made a mistake, we have Stangs in the 7's on street tires, V8 Turbos Baby:p
Street legal tires or real street tires? ;)

phatdex
03-05-2003, 04:42 PM
I just had a look at that pic, those are not STREET tyres.
We have rotors in Australia that are untubbed doing 8's, with small slicks, but there is no way a car can do a wheelie like that on street tyres.
I have seen a Mazda R100 (~700KGS) lift about 30cm off the ground on grooved tyres, but those tyres are def slick, as in no tread.
They may be legal to drive on the street in America, but street tyres are tyres with wet weather grooves, Ie Nitto Extreme 555's etc etc which are still semi slicks.
And when a GTR does times on street tyres, it means STREET tyres, Ie, turn up in what u drive it around the street on and drop it.
Puerto Rican rotaries are almost in the 6's in full bodied cars.

phatdex
03-05-2003, 04:44 PM
What makes it gay is that its not always there. Race me a couple of times, beat me, ur bottle runs out, I beat u.
U want usable power, especially on track. 7sec dragsters, OK, maybe that is useful using N2O, but on a street car, I still think it is gay.

RazorGTR
03-05-2003, 06:25 PM
Actually street legal tyres in the states mean DOT (department Of Transportation) legal. They are required to have a certain amount of groove or tread depth same as here in NZ and also in OZ. Mickey Thompson make enormous DOT tyres which can exceed 15 inches wide and while moving look like slicks. They are also an extremely compound nearly that of a drag racing slick. They were designed to be used in Drag racing and many cars run them with great success and very quick times. They also have softer side walls so again act like a slick and also retain heat put into them after a burnout. It is hard to say but I did not see any white lettering on them, but then again the rears are rotating pretty damn fast.

SkylineUSA
03-05-2003, 10:59 PM
I just had a look at that pic, those are not STREET tyres.
We have rotors in Australia that are untubbed doing 8's, with small slicks, but there is no way a car can do a wheelie like that on street tyres.
I have seen a Mazda R100 (~700KGS) lift about 30cm off the ground on grooved tyres, but those tyres are def slick, as in no tread.
They may be legal to drive on the street in America, but street tyres are tyres with wet weather grooves, Ie Nitto Extreme 555's etc etc which are still semi slicks.
And when a GTR does times on street tyres, it means STREET tyres, Ie, turn up in what u drive it around the street on and drop it.
Puerto Rican rotaries are almost in the 6's in full bodied cars. God forbid, if there was someone faster out there, using different equipment that you did not know about.

What makes it gay is that its not always there. Race me a couple of times, beat me I would have already proven my superiority:)
A bottle can last almost 15 1/4s for the power I want out of it, I doubt the bottle would run out on you.

SkylineUSA
03-06-2003, 02:24 PM
That picture was takin over a year ago, I posted it because it was cool. That car is a lot faster now, and on STREET TIRES:D

sami
03-06-2003, 02:30 PM
That picture was takin over a year ago, I posted it because it was cool. That car is a lot faster now, and on STREET TIRES:D
You still haven't answered my question, on street legal tires or real street tires? What tires is he using? :D

SkylineUSA
03-06-2003, 02:43 PM
Radials:p

sami
03-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Radials:p
What radials? Still doesn't tell if they are street tires or not even if they are street legal. :devil:

SkylineUSA
03-06-2003, 03:08 PM
I am looking for the info, geez:)

Mean while check this out.

http://www.scootertrashst.com/videos/bad%20ass%20car.mpeg

And I don't know what tires were used, OK:finger:

SkylineUSA
03-07-2003, 09:18 AM
411, 315/45 15 BFG DRs

So, yes they are street tires:sun:

sami
03-07-2003, 10:35 AM
411, 315/45 15 BFG DRs

So, yes they are street tires:sun:
DR = Drag Radials. They might be street legal and you can run them on the street but they are not real street tires. You see clouds and you'll run for cover... :)

To be fair though, I don't think any of the low 1/4 mile times that are in the 8's are run with real street tires, not even the AWD cars.

RazorGTR
03-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by sami

DR = Drag Radials. They might be street legal and you can run them on the street but they are not real street tires. You see clouds and you'll run for cover... :)

To be fair though, I don't think any of the low 1/4 mile times that are in the 8's are run with real street tires, not even the AWD cars.

The do in Japan and we have one GTR here in NZ that has run 9.02 @ 159mph on Micky Thompson ET's which are DOT approved. Splitting hairs I know but they do have viable tread in them if you want to call it that. Still at the end of the day are classified as street legal tyres by the Department Of Transportation in the states.

In Japan they use NITTO tyres which again are classes as DOT tyres. There is a club in Japan known as the RH9 club. 9 sec or quicker cars on street tyres and oddly enough they do drags on the STREETS.

sami
03-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by RazorGTR
Still at the end of the day are classified as street legal tyres by the Department Of Transportation in the states.
That is why I'm saying street legal vs. real street tires. Would you run those tires 24/7, rain or shine? :)

phatdex
03-07-2003, 01:21 PM
sami is on the same wavelength as me, Drag Radial are slicks if someone bothered to read my quote from a tyre history site, just not as commonly used as Bias ply slicks.
They are not street tyres. Street tyres will not make the front of ur car go up.

RazorGTR
03-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Ok guys don't get your undies in a bunch. Yes I read your post sami, but until NHRA and IHRA change the rules those types of tyres, they still fall into the street legal class.

To answer you question not a chance. They wouldn't last very long, but does not make any difference to the classification of the tyres.

Personally I think it wrong to let cars run them in a street class event. They should be used in Pro Street only and not in the standard street classes.

Now personal feelings aside if any tyre is DOT then it is classed as a street use tyre, therefor falling into that catigory. Moaning and or carrying on will not change the facts. I say get enough competitors to write in and get the rules changed. Then you would have a good stance, but until then sorry guys as much as I hate it also you/we just don't.

tyndago
03-30-2003, 11:11 PM
I have driven back from Arizona in the rain on BFG Drag Radials.... in a GT-R they were not bad.. the no heater or wipers was worse than worrying about the tires...

Nitto drag radials are fine in the rain.... I drove them a lot in my Typhoon , and later on my Syclone . I used them daily on my Syclone - they actually handle pretty well also...

ET Streets are DOT legal bias plies...they are street legal - but not really...... I mean you wouldnt want to use them on a daily driver..

A BFG Drag Radial or Nitto Drag Radial is a real street tire... with the BFG being a better strip/street tire .. and the Nitto being a better street/strip tire.

A DR(drag radial) is in no way a slick... not even close...

Before you start typing stuff out - spouting out at the mouth.... actually try out and drive some of these tires....

Supra650RSP
03-31-2003, 02:07 PM
I've got to agree with Tyndago on this one. I've got Nitto 555 Drag Radials on the Supra right now and they aren't half bad in the rain. If you hit a real deep water patch they tend to break loose a bit and give you a ride but for the most part they are decent. I drove from Kansas City, Missouri to Dallas, Texas in pretty heavy rains and still made good time. I had one or two hairy moments but it was do-able.

phatdex
04-02-2003, 12:51 PM
OK, I have seen many cars launch with Nitto NT555R tyres on and none of them launch the front of the car 10 feet in the air like the pic of that car that started this thread. That is the main point. Maybe that pic was taken with real slicks to look good for the pic and another time has been set with normal street tyres. My main pont is with street tyres ur car will not wheelstand like that.
I have watched many HKS street meets from japan and many of the cars are doing 9's and 8's on NT555R's. But not one of them has ever lifted the front wheels one centimetre. That is RX7's, GTR's (obviously since its 4WD) and silvias.

SkylineUSA
04-02-2003, 01:01 PM
Traction is not all in the tires, unlike what most people believe.

Just because you seen videos, means it cannot happen, right?

The cars you mentioned were not in the pic, meaning every car IS NOT the same.

phatdex
04-02-2003, 08:33 PM
It could happen, but highly unlikely. Not one car has lifted a tyre one centimetre off the ground and that car is lifting its front about 10 feet and is almost vertical??
It prob has done a 7 on semi slicks. Just saying I dont think that pic is on the semi slicks.

Most cars with full drag slicks dont lift that high in the air.
The 7.1sec HKS supra and 180SX only lift 1 or two feet in the air and they are using like micky thompson full drag slicks.
Then again I have seen old rotaries Ie RX3 etc etc lift in a similar way and do crazy wheelstands (all on full drags tho).

tyndago
04-02-2003, 09:27 PM
The fastest way - from point A to point B is not with the hoops hanging 5 feet in the air....

But some cars do that.... what wheelie bars are for - the HKS 180 - pretty sure has wheelie bars low to the ground...

Hard to steer - if you have to - with the steering wheels 5 feet high...

Wheelies are cool - but not lifting the wheels and hooking is the quicker way...

SkylineUSA
04-02-2003, 10:41 PM
It would be safe to say, that it was not the fastest run that car has ever had. Its just a cool pic.

phatdex
04-02-2003, 10:45 PM
I have just noticed how many cars u have!!! Bloody hell! =)

SkylineUSA
04-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Some are in storage back in the states. I only have the Stang, and the Skylines here in England.

phatdex
04-02-2003, 11:24 PM
Why have a GTS-t if u have a GTR?
If I was u I would sell all ur cars and get an R34 GTR, but thats just me. =)

SkylineUSA
04-03-2003, 01:20 AM
The wife drives the GTSt to work, I drive the GTR.

R34 GTR is not worth the money. Give up three nice cars, for one nice car, naw:)

racingbreed20
04-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Great pic! Havent seen to many cars lately, just Jeepneys and trikes. Oh and in reference to what phatdex said about GTS-Ts, They're not that bad. But if I could I'd get a GTR and if I was a 100,000 dollars richer I'd get an R34! But since I do have a GTS-T, that pic makes me wonder if I can get my car up on the rear wheels like that. Oh well in another 5 months or so I get to see my car again, maybe dump some of this hard earned cash into it. Also a buddy of mine had a blown mustang, used to hop it up on the rear too. Not like that, but he did say you needed a hell of a lot of torque to pull it off. So I think you need a good Kick to stick ratio... Just a thought. By the way the PI sucks, and I cant wait to get back home to Okinawa. See yah later.

GTi-VR6_A3
04-03-2003, 10:49 AM
I am looking for the info, geez:)

Mean while check this out.

http://www.scootertrashst.com/videos/bad%20ass%20car.mpeg

And I don't know what tires were used, OK:finger:

holy shit that video is cool. i havnt seen a wheelie in a long time (dont watch too much drag) the sparks are great.

-GTi-VR6_A3

sami
04-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by tyndago
I have driven back from Arizona in the rain on BFG Drag Radials.... in a GT-R they were not bad..
Not bad but not good either? "in a GT-R" but how about a RWD like we were talking about here. It doesn't help that the tire used was 315, and you had what? 265? Once you get those tires lifted off the surface, it doesn't matter if it's AWD or not.

Of course your best rain and snow tire is the good old 155 but can't use those either... :)
Nitto drag radials are fine in the rain.... I drove them a lot in my Typhoon , and later on my Syclone . I used them daily on my Syclone - they actually handle pretty well also...
Don't all those cars have something in common with the GT-R that helps driving in the rain a little bit. :)
Before you start typing stuff out - spouting out at the mouth.... actually try out and drive some of these tires....
I hope that wasn't directed to me. Just because I'm disagreeing with you about what is a real street tire, I am spouting my mouth? I have tried Nitto's on a RWD car and I wasn't impressed. People, including you, seem to think the BFG isn't even as good.

Add your comment to this topic!