Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Balance shaft sprockets 96 accord

gpn50
06-13-2008, 03:39 PM
This is gonna be a tough one!
While replacing the water pump on a 1996 accord 4cyl it was neccsary to remove the balance shaft sprockets and belt. You are supposed to mark the sprockets in order to be able to replace them as they were.
Here is the problem!..... There was no keyway in the crank sprocket so the gears were spinning freely after I removed the timing covers. I have no idea why the keyway was missing, we just got this car for my son. A new timing belt was installed before we bought this car and I can only assume the keyway was not re-installed Anyhow!
How are the balance sprockets supposed to be installed when there in no former position to mark them before removal Holy Cow, what have I gotton myself into!!:shakehead

somick
06-13-2008, 05:22 PM
As far as I remember there is an access hole in the back of the engine for securing the balancer shaft (12 mm bolt). Try to put a screwdriver in it and rotate the shaft at the same time. When you find the dead spot and your screwdriver goes through, you got it. The balancer shaft is at the right position. Look at he diagram and install the sprocket.

Hope it will work out for you!

Sam

gpn50
06-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Somick...right again!!! found the access hole and all went well. Also found the keyway that came out when I removed the crank pully. Almost finished with this adventure.Thanks for all your help.:cheers:

Add your comment to this topic!