Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shifting 1st to 2nd - 'Whoosh'

Minoxide98
06-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to these forums. I own a 1998 Chevy Cavalier, it's 2DR and manual. I love the car, it's fun to drive. I just had a quick question, however. Sometimes when shifting from 1st into 2nd gear, I hear a 'whoosh' noise. I don't know how else to describe this sound, but it's almost like a rush of air. If you've ever seen Fast and the Furious, or played Need for Speed, it sounds like something from there. I'm new to driving manual, and I am only 17, so I'm not all that knowledgeable about these kinds of things (but I can drive it), and google doesn't seem to have all that much information on what this could be either.

I read, however, while I researched, that people like the noise. I, personally don't mind the noise either, but I just wanted to know if it's something I should be concerned about. I couldn't tell you how often it happens, or when exactly it happens. It's not every shift, but the a little more frequent than the 'odd-time'. And it seems like I can really only hear it with the windows down. If I had to say, it happens more often (maybe even only happens) when Im going faster, or accelerating quicker, but again, I can't really say. I just hear it, and at the time, don't really realize what I did to make the sound! :P

I know this isn't just restricted to Cavalier's, either. (Obviously, as there aren't any Cavi's in F&F for NFS) but I heard a Nissan 350Z do it the other day, too.

Somebody with a Mustang who has this same thing said it sounds like a quieter Supercharger, without actually having one.

If anyone knows what this is, and if I should be concerned, please, let me know!

Thanks!

Spyder3K
06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
You know, mine does it, but it's because of the stuff under the hood. But hell, if yours is doing it because it wants to, then idk, haha maybe it's jealous of the other turbo/supercharged/NA cars out there that already do it!

I have a 98 Cavi as well, so if I hear of anything, I'll let you know. But in the mean time, baby the damn car, esp. if you're running a 2.4L! lol Cuz I LOVE my cavi.. love it... love it... lo....athe it. hahaha (It's merely a love-hate kinda thing) :rofl:

jakegday
06-13-2008, 06:06 PM
does it do it ONLY from 1st to 2nd? also, does your driving condition affect it? like does it do it more when you (try to) drive fast? or does it do it the same amount no matter what?

Minoxide98
06-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, my car is rocking a 2.2. Lol, it's not a Z24 :P But yes, it does only make the sound from 1st to 2nd. I was driving around the other day, no music, windows down. Purposely paying as close attention as I possibly could for the sound, and now I can pretty much predict when it's going to happen. It's always when I get decent acceleration and haven't quite yet changed to 2nd. I would say yes, it does it more frequently if I'm going rather quick for 1st. (30-40km/h)

Add your comment to this topic!