Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Problem with beretta

exner2009
06-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi i have a 1993 beretta, and this is what its doing. When i start the car and take off the oil fill cap, i have eccesive amounts of exhaust or some kind of smoke comming from the hole. If i leave the cap on and continue running the car , the smoke will come up from under the hood. You can see the smoke as you sit in the drivers seat. The car doesnt over heat, or does it use oil. It also seems like its only running on 4 cylinders. I checked the compression, and also the spark and it was all fine. Does this mean i have a blown head gasket, or maybe bad valves?. Your help would be appreciated.:confused:

inafogg
06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Hello exner,not if the compression test was good.with the cap on & you see the smoke where's it coming from??i'd make sure pcv system is ok there is'nt too much oil in engine is there....

jsgold
06-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Any trouble codes??? Maybe a bad or clogged EGR??

exner2009
06-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Hello exner,not if the compression test was good.with the cap on & you see the smoke where's it coming from??i'd make sure pcv system is ok there is'nt too much oil in engine is there....

No the engine oil is fine, when i put the oil cap back on, this smoke comes out of the dip stick hole , It could be the egr , because at times you can smell exhaust inside the car. The engine seems to be running really rich. There is black residue around the inside of tail pipe. Is the egr the part that connects just behind the throttle body , This part also has a pipe that hooks to the exhaust. Well i mentioned that because , it also has black residue around it . Thanks for your input its really appreciated. Last year i changed out every electronic component in this car, and it ran great until this happened. I use this car to commuted back and forouth to work, and if i remember correctly, it happened slowly and got worse as i drove. Right now the car will barly idle and has very little power, and am getting black exhaust. :confused:

rhandwor
06-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Are you using a lot more fuel or is this the only problem?

exner2009
06-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Are you using a lot more fuel or is this the only problem?
Yes my feul mileage droped by easily 30%. I used to get awesome mileage with this car , but like i said , the engine seems to be running very rich and has very little power. If i'm driving in the city and stoped on a red light , i have to keep my foot on the gas peddle, while holding the brakes at the same time or it will stall. Again thanks for your help. Do you think that it could be a problem with the valves , or heads ?. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the injectors , not sure though .:confused:

rhandwor
06-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Check the upper and lower radiator hose for temperature. A thermostat thats stuck open keeps the vehicle in closed loop. This is like driving with the choke on all the time. It will cause a big increase in fuel use. Then the plugs get sooted up and it won't run properly. Feel the upper hose on a good running engine at operating temperature. You hose should feel the same temperature when hot.

inafogg
06-16-2008, 01:04 PM
i would ck pcv system have you... you can pull the egr/tube to clean but it should set a code!! is there any codes???

Add your comment to this topic!