Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dremel... what is needed?

djmr2
03-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Hey guys

i think i'm going to get a dremel, i think they're pretty useful and i want to get one because i can't think of any other way to sand down the nub on fujimi wheels where u stick the peg in so i can convert them to fit tamiya wheels..

so what should i get for my dremel? sanding discs? cutting discs? :)

espin
03-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Get the $20.00 battery powered one. Plenty of power for doing models. Also get yourself the accessory pack of bits and tools. Thats should be good to get you started. The cut off wheels and round sanding drums are real good.

flyonthewall
03-07-2003, 11:23 AM
You usually get a good selection of bits with the sets you can buy. I got one of the top end sets a few years back and the only thing i have purchased for it since are a selection of dental burrs - very useful and this guard...
http://www.dxmarket.com/shops/micromark/images/products/82303-3838.gif
If you plan on using the cut off discs (i.e ceramic ones) then i suggest getting one of these, those things are leathal!! They are really brittle and break quite easily, on a couple of occasions they have broken up and flew off somewhere, lukily it wasn't my face!

The set I have also has the flexi shaft, i definately recommend getting one. I use for 99% of the jobs, its so much easier to use, gives you more control and you can hold it between your fingers.

You could also consider the Minicraft range - http://www.minicrafttools.com/ I wish i got one of these instead now coz they have a transformer that allows you to slow the speed right down. The Dremels spin far too fast for cutting plastic, you can manage some tasks with them but for very delicate work they are no good and no transformer exists for them.

djmr2
03-07-2003, 11:27 AM
man these things are expensive..

i'm thinking i'm going to try a 2speed (5000 and 10000rpm) first and see how that goes, it's cheap, 50CDN, cordless though

i only want it so i can sand the nubs down on the fujimi/aoshima rims.. and i can't think of any otherway to do it...
any one have any ideas? :)

espin
03-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by djmr2
man these things are expensive..

i'm thinking i'm going to try a 2speed (5000 and 10000rpm) first and see how that goes, it's cheap, 50CDN, cordless though

i only want it so i can sand the nubs down on the fujimi/aoshima rims.. and i can't think of any otherway to do it...
any one have any ideas? :)

Go with the dremel. You will be suprised how much you will used for future projects.

flyonthewall
03-07-2003, 11:34 AM
The only other thing i can suggest is this (http://www.1999.co.jp/asp/GoodsDetails_e.asp?Bno=4168729&Typ1_c=107&Typ2_c=119&Typ3_c=329&SPage=1&SC=2&SN=Tools+Motor+Tool&It_c=10008580&andor=0&scope=0&scope2=0&thumb=1&sortID=1&urikire=1&sort_sort=0&ItKey=&app_url=shop_right_e.asp) but i dont know how good it is????

Vric
03-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Use Dremel brand... no other thing.. I have a cheap one and I hate it.. not enugh power (15000 rpm, but not very powerfull) I have a cordless Dremel that run a 5000rpm and it's better

djmr2
03-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Hey guys

what kind of attachment is recommend to grind/sand things down.. like how i want to use it to sand the nub down

thx

espin
03-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey guys

what kind of attachment is recommend to grind/sand things down.. like how i want to use it to sand the nub down

thx

this works well:

espin
03-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Should be all set with this one:

djmr2
03-07-2003, 12:07 PM
that would work but i dont' think it'll work for a wheel

maybe the FACE of a cutting disc would work?

djmr2
03-07-2003, 12:09 PM
sweet
i will check out whats available..
going to go now!

espin
03-07-2003, 12:10 PM

I guess...

RyanGiorgio
03-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by flyonthewall
If you plan on using the cut off discs (i.e ceramic ones) then i suggest getting one of these, those things are leathal!! They are really brittle and break quite easily, on a couple of occasions they have broken up and flew off somewhere, lukily it wasn't my face!

Haha the same thing happened to me, but I thought it wa a piece of plastic that flew off. I finally realized (when my dremel wasn't cutting) that it had broke off. Luckily it didn't hit me. I got scared and didn't use it for a while.

flyonthewall
03-07-2003, 02:16 PM

DJ - for cutting away the poly cap housing on the wheels, i used a steel cutter like item #38176 in the pic.

http://www.dxmarket.com/shops/micromark/images/products/38176.jpg

BTW, i shall need to do that modification again for my Celica so i will do a specific how to on the subject and take some better pics. I'll try to do this 2moro if i get time.;)

djmr2
03-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Fly, awesome!!!

yeh i got a Dremel Minimite, it's 5000 and 10000rpm and i don't think it's powerful enough...

well what i'm trying is i got a flat grinding disc and i'm trying to grind it down and it's taking too long :)
heheehhe

well i guess it's ok, i'm gonna keep trying.

hope to see the How-To!

Add your comment to this topic!