Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help trying to fix ourselves

tryingtolearn
06-11-2008, 10:29 AM
i have a 1994 lumina apv 3.1 . i have two problems going on . my check engine light is coming on but only after i have driven it for over 6 miles at a time or so. when i turn it off and let it cool down it goes off until i drive it for at least 6 miles agian.

second one is my abs brake light and check brake light is coming on . it only comes on when i start the van and not every time. when it comes on you can hear something ingaging or disingaging.? i am not sure but my brakes get tighter when this happens.
my husband is going to change the brake pads this weekend . but i dont think the pads would be causing the light to come on and do that .
thank you for any help

blazes9395
06-13-2008, 10:45 PM
You need to get the codes scanned on your van and see what you have popping up and go from there.

LMP
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
..my check engine light is coming on ..after i have driven it for over 6 miles at a time or so. ..
..my abs brake light and check brake light is coming on ... when it comes on you can hear something ingaging or disingaging.?

'94 codes need a GM scanner ....any other symptoms beside the CEL ? ANy problem with engine temperature ?

ABS makes a noise and thump when it sets in. ABS light can be trigged on by a number of factors, including sensor failure at any of the 4 wheels...
THe RED brake light can come on for a low brake fluid level, from parking brake pedal not fully in the up position, parking brake pedal switch misadjusted , from rear brakes that are severely out of adjustment, or from sick master cylinder..

Add your comment to this topic!