2000 Voyager blower not working intermittently

g3_ultra
06-10-2008, 09:59 PM
I have a 2000 Voyager with 117K miles. Recently the A/C blower has stopped working intermittently. It usually works, but sometimes it won't come on at any setting. When it works, it works on all settings. I've read a lot of the posts on blower problems, but I haven't seen any with this intermittent problem. Could this be a bad resistor block or should I look elsewhere? Thanks!

RIP
06-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Usually if the resistor block goes bad it stays bad. I would lean towards the blower relay or possibly the panel switch. On later model 3rd generation vans as yours is, I believe the relay was moved to the Power Distribution Center (PDC). That's a fancy term for a fuse relay box next to the battery. Try swapping it with another identicle relay on the same panel if there is one or just buy a new one. Pulling it out and reinstalling would help clean the contacts. Here's a link to a thread that will tell you everything you need to know about the system and then some:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=340871

g3_ultra
06-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the relay today, but still no luck. When I pulled the old relay out and looked at it, I can see some discoloration on one of the spades like it was getting hot, but I could feel the relay clicking on. Anyway, a new relay was only $12 (from the Chrysler dealer, of all places), so I went ahead and replaced it. They were actually cheaper than Autozone. I pulled the resistor block out and a couple of the terminals where the coils attach are badly rusted and all the spades where the plug attaches are corroded, so I'm definitely gonna replace that, but they didn't have one in stock today. I'm hoping that does the trick without having to replace the motor too. I hate troubleshooting by swapping parts without really knowing what's bad. Anything left besides the motor? Does the actual switch ever go bad in anyone's experience?

RIP
06-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Sounds like in your case the resistor block is your problem but, if you're meter savvy and just need a schematic, go here: http://www.oplin.org/databases/proxy2/proxy.php?qurl=http%3a%2f%2farrc.epnet.com%2fautoa sp%2fframerq.asp

Type 123456789 and click submitt
Scroll to Cincinati Library and click submitt
Scroll to ARRC and click
Enter your info
Under "Repair Topics" select "Wiring Diagrams"
Select "Air Conditioning..." twice
Should see Drawing 1,2,3
Drawing 1 & 2 should show you what you need

I'm sure switches going bad aren't unheard of but, I can't say I've ever read of one that did. I wouldn't work the issue now but if you're seeing black/corroded contacts in the system it's a sign the blower motor may be wearing and drawing too much current. Might check the blower connector too while you're at it. Just a heads up.

That link I gave you is without a doubt the longest thread I've seen on any of the forums I frequent but, it's packed with good info. If you get into this and get stuck, spend some time and fish your way through it. Your answer may be there - somewhere.

EDIT - Changed Diagram to Drawing.

g3_ultra
06-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks RIP, I was trying to find a schematic. I tried the site you mentioned above, but I couldn't find wiring diagrams or schematics anywhere. I got to the help topics, but no "wiring diagrams" sub-topic was there. I'll try again.
I picked up a resistor and a motor today, but if I can get by without changing the motor, that'd be great because I can return the motor. Thanks again.

RIP
06-12-2008, 03:27 PM
I reproofed the sequence I gave you. It works. Can you give specifics of where exactly you're going astray? Which step? Many have problems navigating this website. You and I both wish it was easier to get to. What are the "Help Topics"? I made a change to the post. Might help.

Once you open the ARRC database, what I mean by "Enter Your Info" is select the year 2000 then Plymouth then Grand Voyager then 3.3 ltr GAS on 4 seperate consecutive pages.

If for some oddball reason when you select Plymouth Grand Voyager and it doesn't give you schematics, try entering Dodge Grand Caravan. You should see schematics then. I've seen that happen before. Server issues? Who knows?

g3_ultra
06-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Sorry, I meant to say "Repair Topics", not "Help". I followed the link then went through each step:
- Cinc. and Hamilton Cty Public Library
- ARRC
- Entered my info: 2000 Chry. Voyager 3.0 V6

Got "Repair Topics". Under Repair Topics:

- Repair Procedures
- Service Bulletins and recalls
- Labor
- Specs.
- Maint. Intervals.

Couldn't find wiring diagrams or drawings anywhere under any of those topics. I even changed vehicle info. I think it's stopped raining now, so I'm gonna go put the resistor block in and see if that works.

g3_ultra
06-12-2008, 05:47 PM
AHHH!!! I got it!! I tried it again under "Plymouth" Voyager, even though mine's branded "Chrysler," and sure enough.... found wiring diagrams. Thanks for your help.....and patience! I'll update th thread later.

g3_ultra
06-12-2008, 09:59 PM
OK, replaced relay and resistor; still nothing. Actually, when I first turned it on it worked, then I turned it off and couldn't get it to come back on. Guess tomorrow I'll have to get out the meter and schematic and start troubleshooting (or replace the motor). By the way, thanks again for posting that link to the ARRC site; excellent resource along with the "monster" thread on this forum. I'll update later.

g3_ultra
06-24-2008, 05:47 PM
OK, I figured out the problem!

-Relay?....NO
-Resistor block?.....NO
-Motor?....NO
-Ignition switch?....BINGO!!!

After replacing the relay and resistor block, I pulled out the motor and hooked it up directly to the battery and it ran fine. I also ohmed it out and compared it with the new motor I bought at Autozone and it was roughly the same, so I knew that wasn't the problem. Luckily, I was able to return the unused motor and get my $45 back.

Thanks to RIP for posting that link to ARRC I was able to find a wiring diagram which showed that the blower circuit is powered off the ignition switch! I would've never figured that out! I took apart the steering column to get to the switch and even though I didn't see anything obviously wrong, I unplugged the wiring harness from it, checked the connections and plugged it back in. After that, it's been working fine, every time.

The only thing I don't feel good about is that I didn't actually repair or replace the switch, so it may give me problems again, but next time I can save my self some troubleshooting time and headaches and just check the switch and replace it. By the way, this seems to be a problem waiting to happen with so much current (up to 40A) going through that switch.

Again, thanks to RIP for the info and also a friend of mine (whose automotive electrical skills are a lot better than mine) for noticing on the schematic that it was fed from the ignition switch. Hope this helps someone else out!

RIP
06-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey, happy to help. Glad to hear your headache is gone. Just curious. That contact on the switch also powers the climate control system , turn signals, ABS, transmission circuits, and airbags. Did you ever see a glitch in those systems? The joys of working electronics on these vans never ends.

Add your comment to this topic!