1984 Dodge ram d50 clutch issues

tommytom11
06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
When I'm slowing down from about 15 mph - 5mph I have a rough clicking noise going on. the clutch is only two years old, but I do have the original tranny in there. I don't know much, but I'm just trying to figure out what it could be before I jump in there. Anybody??

inafogg
06-10-2008, 06:22 PM
hello tommy, a little more if you can.does it come from tans??clutch pressed in or not??it could be a u-joint but more info would help

KManiac
06-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Which transmission do you have? 4-speed or 5-speed?
How many miles?

I replaced the original clutch and 5-speed transmission at 125,000 miles in my 1980 D-50. The clutch was at the end of its service life (no more free play adjustment left) and the rear countershaft bearing desintegrated (the rear countershaft bearing is under a high stress load in 5th gear). I didn't hear any clicking noises, though.

tommytom11
06-11-2008, 03:48 PM
doesn't matter if the clutch is in or not when I slow down. It still makes the noise every time. but it is less intense if I'm trying to put it into gear.

4-speed 138,000 mi. I was trying to take it one step at a time but I feel i should also mention the grinding.
Sounds more like something is trying to shake loose. I don't know if it is the flywheel going haywire or what, but (sometimes) when I push the clutch in a horrible vibration and humming/grinding noise comes from the tranny.

KManiac
06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
That last grinding sound you described sounds like a throw out bearing. That bearing should have been replaced with the clutch disc. These bearings don't usually wear out this quick unless you sit for prolonged periods of time, stopped with the clutch pedal pushed in.

Does the noise change tone or intensity with each gear or the same regardless of gear?? How about specific changes in tone or intensity with clutch engaged or disengaged. Try it in every gear, including reverse, clutch in and out, and let us know what it does.

tommytom11
06-11-2008, 08:10 PM
just got back from trying your advice. was a little difficult giving that it is a decently loud truck. from what I can tell, it doesn't matter what gear it is in, but if I strain my ears I know I hear it when I'm going faster than 15mph as I mentioned before. If it is in gear I only hear it if the rpm is low, but it probably does it anyway. Whether the clutch is in or out it makes the noise.

inafogg
06-12-2008, 01:08 PM
just to be sure...have you checked the fluid level???

tommytom11
06-13-2008, 12:24 PM
checked the tranny fluid. was full and good. anything else I should maybe check?

inafogg
06-13-2008, 01:01 PM
tom you say doesnt matter clutch in /out but is it in gear ??hows were the u-joints?

tommytom11
06-17-2008, 02:55 PM
u joints are good, from what I can. tell they are just old.

Add your comment to this topic!