Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 neon chugging bad

drpepper69
06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Not sure if it's the plugs or something worse ? today left for work car started fine drove maybe five minutes stopped at a stop sign pushed gas chug chug took foot off gas pushed again chug chug pulled off road let idle really rough did not stall just idled really bad engine light came on then off then on then off then stayed on turned around went home chugging away when got home let sit for another five minutes then seem to be fine engine light still on and idles rough not as bad but seems driveable now not going to drive till I check the plugs or any other ideas if any one had the same probs ?

barteldt
06-10-2008, 09:23 PM
my 98 did something like that last winter it was fine at driving speed but you could here it chugging at idle i ended up just pulling the vacuum off the egr valve and its been ok since, ill probably pik up a new egr at some point but so far so good

das2123
06-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Check the CEL:
To read any codes on your neon, put the key in the ignition and cycle it to ACC on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds. As the CEL flashes, count the number of flashes. This represents the code. An example would be flash-flash-flash-flash, pause, flash-flash-flash, which would be a Code 43, single or multiple cylinder misfire.

Post back with any codes found.

Sheim750
09-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Check the CEL:
To read any codes on your neon, put the key in the ignition and cycle it to ACC on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds. As the CEL flashes, count the number of flashes. This represents the code. An example would be flash-flash-flash-flash, pause, flash-flash-flash, which would be a Code 43, single or multiple cylinder misfire.

Post back with any codes found.I got a code of 12435 does that sound right, same chugging and hestation when warmed up

das2123
09-28-2008, 11:50 PM
You probably missed a blink. It looks like you got 12,43 and then 55. Try reading them again.

Oldsmobile Doctor
09-29-2008, 07:58 PM
My 95 did that but only accelerating never set a code but turned out to be the TPS. If yours is idling bad probably not that just something to think about.

Add your comment to this topic!