Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Checking for leaking injectors

steriosm
06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I've been reading up on changing out my regulator on my 96 Yuk and some of the post have talked about leaking injectors. After i pull out all the plugs and turn the key forwards to get the pump running how do I check for a leaking injector? Will fuel actually squirt out of the spark plug hole? I'd like to narrow down the possibilities before I tackle the upper manifold removal.I did the fuel pressure test and it's withing limits with engine on and off but leaks down. Thanks

maxwedge
06-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Pull the upper plenum, pressurize the system and look for obvious leaks, I's replace the spider and the regulator and be done with it.

steriosm
06-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Maxwedge. When you say 'pressurize the system' would that be just turn the key forwards till the pump comes on? I guess i'd have to reconnect the fuel lines back to the fuel metering body eh? Any further help be great. THanks

maxwedge
06-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Both the spider and regulator as I said were problems, but a pump could cause pressure drops also, get the plenum off and you will see what is what.

steriosm
06-11-2008, 07:23 AM
thanks again Maxwedge. But that is what i'm wondering. Once i get the plenum off how do i pressurize the system? I've got a new pump and fitler on the truck already. If i hook up the fuel lines to the fuel metering body I can just turn the key forwards to get the pump on to pressurize the system? Will that work with all the other electrical stuff disconnected to get the plenum off? Or will any leaks be that obvious once i get the plenum off? I'll look for really clean areas that had gas sprayed onto them? I've done work on my vehicles for years but very little motor work. Thanks

maxwedge
06-11-2008, 07:45 AM
You should see signs of some puddled fuel or smell it at least.

steriosm
06-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Ok thanks. I'll tear into it this weekened and see what's there. Hopefully this will get me back my range of about 750 km highway on a full tank. With these prices it's nice to get out to fishing and back on a tankfull. Thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!