Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

First post! I just ordered one.

hufhouse
06-10-2008, 07:15 AM
Thought I would take the honor of the first post here in the smart forum.

I just ordered one. It'll take eighteen months to get it, so don't expect another post anytime soon.

I'm going to be using it for my business. I'm a State Farm Agent, and I'm generally in my car alone a lot. I'm going to have it "wrapped" with advertising, since it's such a unique car.

I see a lot of them for sale on eBay right now for a few thousand MORE than the sticker price. Those were some smart people...no pun intended.

MyTaurus8AChevy
06-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Congrats! It might not take 18 months though. We'll be ordering ours soon. Maybe we'll get lucky and find an orphan :)

hufhouse
06-16-2008, 06:58 AM
I looked into that, but our saleslady told us that an "orphan" might not be the exact car that we ordered. I'm going to "wrap" mine with advertising for my business, so I really want it to be white with a black tridium cell.

Yeah, I know I could just buy new panels and make it white and all, but I'd also like to make sure I get the comfort package and the premium radio.

What are your feelings about the wimpy warranty? I'm going to buy an extended warranty, just to be safe.

MyTaurus8AChevy
06-17-2008, 02:12 AM
I would never buy an extended warranty. Most people that pay for them never really use them, which is how the company makes money.

hufhouse
06-17-2008, 06:54 AM
I would never buy an extended warranty. Most people that pay for them never really use them, which is how the company makes money.

I've always said the same thing. But, 2 years/24,000 miles on a car that is brand new to the US is a little scary to me. (I'm just old enough to remember the Yugo.)

Not to mention the automated manual transmission. In general (in other car lines), the automated manual has been less reliable. At least, that's what I read recently in an automotive magazine while getting my oil changed!

Maybe you're right, though. Most cars that I have owned never really had much of a problem between 24,000 and 60,000 miles. It's around 80,000 that they start to give you problems.

Hmmm. I'll have to think about that.

MyTaurus8AChevy
06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
From what I've read most of these extended warranties have too many loopholes, and when you try to use it they find a way to get out of it. I don't think you have to buy the warranty right away, so you'll have lots of time to think about it. Two years is a long time.

Add your comment to this topic!