99 grand am se starting/possible alternator issue

todd_zempel
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
I have a 99 GA SE V6. It did not start the other day. When I turned the key, nothing happened, but I did hear a ticking noise from what sounded like the passenger side of the car. I tried to jump it, the charge would not hold, so I bought a new battery. The new battery worked for a few days, and then it would not start again (same problem). I am thinking it is an alternator problem, but I would like to hear your opions before I drop the cash on a new one.

Questions:

Do you agree with my diagnosis?
Is this a job a noivce can do?
Should I save some extra money and buy a used alternator, or spend the cash on a new one?
Can anyone point me in the direction of good step-by-step instructions on how to replace the alternator?

Hungrycat7
06-09-2008, 04:03 PM
I would say the alternator is a pretty good possibility but you will probably want to get more expert opinions on here. I can give you the step by step out of the repair manual though.
1.)Disconnect negative battery terminal
2.)Remove the drivebelt (I think this will be the trickiest part)
3.)Disconnect the output wire and electrical connector from alternator.
4.)On the V6 models you must remove the nut and power steering line clip from the stud before removing the alternator mounting bolts.
5.)Installation is the reverse of removal.
6.)Install drivebelt.
7.)Check the charging voltage to verify operation.

Hope this helps. . . I have never done it before but I figured this would be a start.

inafogg
06-09-2008, 04:54 PM
hello todd,it sounds like a bad alt but you should check it before.if you have axcess to a volt meter you can ck it yourself.just connect to the battery you should get a reading of 13.2 - 14.5 volts.if no meter & no bat charger you can take it off & have it tested.should not be too difficult make sure you have a diagram for the way the belt is installed.should be one under the hood.if there isnt one then drawl one so you no how it goes back on.Good Luck!!!
BTW always disconnect battery by removing neg battery cable

todd_zempel
06-09-2008, 08:57 PM
I decided to buy the new alternator.

I detached everything, but I shortly realized that I have no idea how to loosen the belt enough to take the alternator off. Any tips?:loser:

Hungrycat7
06-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey There. The repair manual says to rotate the tensioner counterclockwise to release the belt tension, then slip the belt from the alternator pulley.

inafogg
06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
hello todd,u need to put a 15mm wrench on the tensioner pulley there is alot of tension so u may need a breaker bar.i interlock 2 wrenches for assistence.push the tensioner counter clockwise you will see the belt tension release.u should be ok for here.Good Luck!!!!

xeroinfinity
06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Its not a 15mm nut on this, you just need a 3/8" ratchet or a belt tensioner tool.
You can use a ratchet with a small short pipe for leverage, pretty easy compared to changing the belt.

and Welcome to AF todd_zempel.

ps- thier is a boat load of stuff in the Tips and Maintenance forum (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2148).
Including the belt removal (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=730440)...

todd_zempel
06-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks guys! I have installed the alternator. As the sun went down, I tested it buy letting it run with the battery disconected. It ran.

One problem I did run into is that the power steering did not work. I am 99.9% sure I connected everything. What color is/what does the power steering relay look like?

xeroinfinity
06-10-2008, 11:32 PM
thier is no relay for the PS.

If you disconnected either of the hoses thier's probly air in the system, or your fluid level is low, could be both.

Thier is the sensor plug on the pump(variable assist steering-VAS), below the hose inlet/outlet, if that's not pluged in your ABS light would be illuminated. :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!