Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Speakers hittting side of car

szabo016
06-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Hello. I have Mitsubishi eclipse '96 spyder. I don't know if all eclipse are like this or maybe just because I have a convertible, but my back to speakers in the side(6x9) are hitting the side of my car. I have the spacers on them that hold them out further but that still wasn't enough. I had to even take a hammer and dent the metal in that is behind the speaker so that they would fit. Even now the magnets are held tightly against the metal backing with all the screw not even in all the way. How bad is this? Will that make a difference in sound quality or volume intensity? ... How much better would it be if I had boxes to put them in?
....all suggestions welcome
-thanks

SilvrEclipse
06-09-2008, 03:51 PM
A lot of people run into this problem when upgrading the 6x9s. Aftermarket speakers mount deeper in the box. Just beat the metal out the way and it will be fine. It would sound better with a box but only if you are trying to get bass out of them. If you are using them for mids/highs it wont make much of a difference.

MazdaX
06-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Or you could pay for the shallow mount 6x9's but they are more expensive than just any ole' set.

MazdaX
06-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Addition : I also think you can't go over something like 2.75" mounting depth without interference from the wheel well and mounting problems.

Add your comment to this topic!