engine cuts out at 3800 rpm

lee756
06-08-2008, 07:49 PM
1997 Grand Prix SE 3.8L

Engine cuts out at 3800 rpm, reving in neutral or while driving.

Changed Spark plugs, new plug wire set, all coils within accepted range of 5-7K

Check engine light will come on and then go off - It may not cycle back on for several weeks--not sure if this is revelant.

where do I go next?

GTP Dad
06-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Revving in Neutral you are probably hitting the rev limiter on the PCM. This is normal. It is not normal for it to do that in Drive. I suggest you get the computer scanned to see if there are any stored codes. If not then you may have a problem with either a bad PCM or a fuel shortage issue. I would bet on the PCM having an issue. It is possible that it may need to be replaced.

tblake
06-08-2008, 11:18 PM
By "engine cuts out" do you mean stalls or do the rpm's just not increase further?

lee756
06-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Revving in Neutral you are probably hitting the rev limiter on the PCM. This is normal. It is not normal for it to do that in Drive. I suggest you get the computer scanned to see if there are any stored codes. If not then you may have a problem with either a bad PCM or a fuel shortage issue. I would bet on the PCM having an issue. It is possible that it may need to be replaced.

Found the problem- for the second time the intake manifold gasket has blown. Replaced upper and lower gasket, intake plenum and there you go

GM has yet to properly handle this issue.

buckeye5889
07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
my car has the same problem, the rpm's dont want to go any higher when I am driving though. I have to let up on the gas and try again any ideas?

BNaylor
07-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Found the problem- for the second time the intake manifold gasket has blown. Replaced upper and lower gasket, intake plenum and there you go.

Since the OP has resolved his issue this thread has been closed from any further discussion/replies.

BNaylor
07-29-2008, 10:29 PM
my car has the same problem, the rpm's dont want to go any higher when I am driving though. I have to let up on the gas and try again any ideas?

This member has a post at this thread concerning his issue.

Click here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=915090)

Add your comment to this topic!