Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Cherokee Ignition Switch

slapshot2213
06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
A newbe needs help please.... I have a 1993 Cherokee Sport. The key seemed to be hard to turn and then all of a suddden it's turns normally again, but none of the electrical that's normally on when the engine is running works... No radio, A/C, turn signals, etc. I'm guessing the ignition switch went bad, but I'm not sure how to change it out.

I did some research here and on other forums, but now I'm totally confused. One forum says to remove the trim panel under the dashboard..... Another says to pull the stearing wheel. Can someone please help me here before I get in over my head... :smile: I'd even be hapy to bypass the switch so everything works...

Thanks in advance.... Tom

Bobbywolf
06-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Your two sources of info are talking about two different things. If you want to replace your ignition switch, you need to remove the dash panel under the steering wheel. You would need to remove the steering wheel to replace the ignition CYLINDER, basically the part you put your key in. There is a linkage that goes from there to your ignition switch.

The ignition switch itself is bolted to the steering column under the dash.

HTH

Rob D

slapshot2213
06-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the reply.

As a follow up.... Since the cylinder seems OK (it turns with the key in and the engine will start and run fine), would you assune that the section of the switch that connects the other electric (turn signals, etc) is bad? Also, I'd guess that there is a mechanical linkage running down the steering column... Any tricks there?

Thanks again... Tom

Bobbywolf
06-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Well, your turn signals, wipers and such are all in the multifunction switch, just under the steering wheel. I do not beleive it has anything to do with your ignition switch issue, sine they are all different functions and unrelated.

You could simply have a binding issue with the linkage where it enters your ignition switch. If I'm not mistaken, the holes to mount the switch are oblonged to allow for adjustment. You need to get under there and have a look at what is going on.

Once you get the ignition switch removed from the column, plug the harness back into it, and turn the jeep on, and start it by hand using a small screwdriver in the hole where the linkage usually goes. Do this a few times. If you have no issues, it is likely just the linkage binding.

I've done this all on my 90 YJ, and I'm fairly certain it should be the same for you in your XJ.

Rob D

herkyfe
07-20-2008, 08:29 AM
I have a 93 Cherokee Sport 4X4 and I have the same problem of the truck starting but no accessories in the run position of the key. Nobody is able to help me out with this. This sliding bar and switch are located on the top of the steering colume? The service manual I have makes absolutely no mention about this. At the moment I have shorted 2 wires for the remote starter which gives me the accessories in the run position but the shorting wire runs fairly warm. I would like to have that shorting wire removed and are you able to help me out with this?

Add your comment to this topic!