which car is a better decision???

hotrod101786
06-07-2008, 06:37 PM
i just got an 03 cavalier for $1000. its only got 64,000 miles and its a 2 dr 5 speed car, it just needs a new front clip. i started looking for aftermarket parts for the cavalier and found that they are few and expensive. i think a dc header was around $500! couldnt find any flywheels, a few clutch kits, no aftermarket intake manifolds. i found supercharger kits but thats not the direction i wanna go, id rather go all motor. i know these ecotec's are pretty peppy and strong but as far as potential goes are these good cars to build? i mean is there gonna be potential in a better aftermarket variety sometime in the future? or should i sell and invest in an integra? :confused:

MZR_47
06-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I wouldnt count on anything too much coming out for the cavalier anytime soon. Most have moved on to the LSJ or LNF series of engines. Cavaliers arent the main choice anymore.

My vote is for integra gs-r :) you can make those bastards pretty fast if you do it right.

silentscreams85
06-07-2008, 07:26 PM
i think theres a member on here who had a supercharged Cavalier, i think his name was jayson. it would be more cost effective to go forced induction route. if not that gs-r suggestion is pretty good too. they are quicker than a stock cavy, and theres plenty of power to be had even going all motor.

BeZerK2112
06-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Wow. Must we do this every other day!

Ask people in the Cavalier section. They will have more information for you.

Sleepr awd
06-07-2008, 09:26 PM
i thought jason got a cobalt?

honestly, a cavalier? man, the only thing you can do with that is take your fluffy white lap-dog to the park. And as far as the "motor" thing goes, when you've got limited displacement, boost is better, shoot, i've got an engine not much bigger than yours if any and i'm going for a low 11 when its back up and running... with boost!

Vip09
06-08-2008, 10:37 AM
If you want a car to just drive every day to work, etc... then you would be fine just keeping the Cavalier.

If you want a car to throw money at to make it faster, definitely go with the Integra GS-R.

:2cents:

-Jayson-
06-08-2008, 09:47 PM
i had an 01 2.4L Twin Cam cavalier, different motor.

But yeah dont waste your money, your not going to see a huge amount of performance out of the car for what you pay for it. Full bolt ons and you should be a low 15 second car. Really not worth the price.

Only way to make a cavalier move is with boost. But thats not the direction you want to go. But even with boost my supercharged cavalier only ran mid 14's.

For 1,000 bucks though? how did you manage that? I would snatch that up in a heart beat. That would be a good daily driver/winter beater.

MZR_47
06-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Cavalier is just.... NOT a fast car, no matter what you do to it. GS-R would be good fun, damn quick boosted. Or get something similar, just dont throw money at the cavalier. full bolt-ons and still a second slower than my stock 2.0L S/C? not worth the trouble if you ask me.

But still an excellent gas saver/winter car.

Sleepr awd
06-08-2008, 11:30 PM
honestly, boosting a GSR is not going to net you a very reliable street car, an LS boosted, would be awesome, but GSR's are better all-motor since they have taht awesome little thing called VTEC for those that crave quick cars (not fast mind you) but dont' want to hurt fuel economy. I'm partial to the civic hatch myself, with any number of engine/boost/vtec combinations

Integra's are overrated anyway, what you need is a dsm.

-Josh-
06-09-2008, 07:44 AM
WRX 2.5 RS

God and to think when i started on these forums i was a GM kid through and through... Dont buy a cavalier, just dont..

BullDog71ss
06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
WRX 2.5 RS

God and to think when i started on these forums i was a GM kid through and through... Dont buy a cavalier, just dont..

I wouldnt go that far, he got a great deal on a nice little car. It's a perfect daily driver.

However, I wouldnt go about buying one with performance in mind. You're just not going to get much in return for the money you'll put into it.

Also, I believe Pacesetter makes cheap headers for that cavy.

MZR_47
06-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I am not a GM guy. They are actually my least favorite automaker. The only things I would ever consider buying are things with SS or WS6 in the name. And cavaliers are my least favorite car ever made..

Subaru would be an awesome idea... or you could go civic hatch with a B16 and turbo it. Torched raced one up here and got his ass kicked :) thats the fastest hatch I have ever seen, probably around 300whp. at 1800lbs thats a recipe for one fast car. Plus, you would humiliate alot of people

-Josh-
06-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm a little biased based on the amount of sunfires and cavaliers that i brought in at the Buick Pontiac GMC dealer i used to work for. They're junk for the most part, no offense to cavy owners in here, but the majority of those cars...they're junk. Great gas mileage though i'm sure, and cheap on insurance...

Just stick with about any import brand until the the domestic car makers decide to pull their heads out of their asses.

-Jayson-
06-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Just stick with about any import brand until the the domestic car makers decide to pull their heads out of their asses.

i have to agree, ive been a long time supporter of domestic cars, but it seems the domestic market is just killing itself lately. I wish GM would actually make a car that is something to smile about. I love my Supercharged Cobalt, and i was really excited about the turbo cobalt untill i found out how badly GM ruined that dream.

After my Cobalt i will be getting an Evo and switching over to the import side...sigh

Sleepr awd
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
yes, come over to the dark side. bwahaha

MZR_47
06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Im with you there Jayson... STi is next in line for me. Domestic FTL :(

CassiesMan
06-10-2008, 08:30 AM
and i was really excited about the turbo cobalt untill i found out how badly GM ruined that dream.
???

Ring times have it faster around the Green Hell than my car, and the car has some good top end. How are you dissapointed? If you want 12 second or better performance out the box, get a 'Vette. If you want a tuner car that you can work on yourself and get to the level you want without having to drop tons of cash, get the Cobalt SS Turbo.

Corvette
Corvette Z06
Corvette ZR1
Cobalt SS Turbo
Camaro
G8
G8 GXP
G8 GT
Solstice GXP
Sky Turbo
CTS V (kicking BMWs ass left and right)
CTS Coupe
Possible CTS V Coupe

Yup, no cars there at all to smile about. Bunch of boring old slow cars, GM might as well shut down any ideas of a performance car at all and just tell people to go buy Scoobies. Tell you what. When you develop a car that can get 40+mpg with 500whp and a top speed 200mph while producing zero emissions, give us a call, we may have a spot for you.

As far as next cars go, screw this toy car shit. My next new car is gonna be fast as hell straight off the lot. I'm tired of playing these toy games. I've started saving already, once I get my wheel and intercooler situation sorted I'm not spending another modified dime on this car. I'm getting a 'Vette, Camaro, G8 GXP, M3, or if its out by then, an Audi RS5.

MZR_47
06-10-2008, 09:22 PM
R8 TDI is all you will ever need. And yes, GM is rolling out the power lately... still an imports guy, but I have to admit I love the power that GM has now. (Though the G8 is a Commodore) XLR-V is probably the sexiest car I have ever seen

Polygon
06-10-2008, 11:46 PM
i had an 01 2.4L Twin Cam cavalier, different motor.

But yeah dont waste your money, your not going to see a huge amount of performance out of the car for what you pay for it. Full bolt ons and you should be a low 15 second car. Really not worth the price.

Only way to make a cavalier move is with boost. But thats not the direction you want to go. But even with boost my supercharged cavalier only ran mid 14's.

For 1,000 bucks though? how did you manage that? I would snatch that up in a heart beat. That would be a good daily driver/winter beater.

That's straight from the horses mouth. He's been there and done that. I agree with him completely. Plus I just don't see anything new in the aftermarket coming out for them. There are far better choices. However, I agree, that's a killer price for a DD.

Add your comment to this topic!