Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rear heat blowing when ac should

nobug
06-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I have a E350 super duty 5.4 2002. When I put on the normal ac with the rear auxilary system on it blows hot air from the lower vents instead of cold air out the upper overhead vents.The rear fan is working and the front system works as normal.The same happens when the max ac is on. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Digger442
06-10-2008, 12:15 AM
I am having the same issue with my 2002 Econoline 150. So I'm guessing it's gotta be a relay or a fuse....any suggestions out there?

Thanks!

fordclubwagon
06-13-2008, 06:41 PM
I am having the same issue with my 2002 Econoline 150. So I'm guessing it's gotta be a relay or a fuse....any suggestions out there?

Thanks!
Their is a door that a vacum diaphram pulls open to allow the cold air to come out the vents on the ceiling,remove left rear side panel and you will find that where the arm attaches to the door is broken off.The door is pretty cheap but the job is a bit tough to do.I replaced mine last summer.
Good luck,Steve

2004-E350
06-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Hello, I am also having the same prob on the two 350's owned by my church (2004's). The vans have 30,000 miles on them and sat for about a year before we recently bought them. The A/C didn't work on either van and I suspect a seal or ring might have dried out or cracked.

We went ahead and charged the system and it blow nice and cold up front. However it blows HOT air in the rear (floor vents).

Must the rear system be charged separately? Could it be that we did not add enough freon?

Any help would be appreciated.

phsteddi54
08-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi, new member here.
I had this problem a few years ago and instead of a broken rear flap door arm the flap door had over traveled and got jammed. As stated before me, this is sort of a hassle to fix and you need, or what worked for me, 1/2" drive swivel sockets and extensions to get the bolts that secure this usnit. There are AC hoses in the way and it's a bear to get to the nuts on this part. Freeing this flap door solved my problem.
This recently occured again and I haven't taken the time to go tackle this again. It's just a pain in the neck to work on it.

FunkyOldVan
08-18-2009, 01:25 AM
I own a 1990 Ford Econoline 150 Custom Van. I have had hellish heat blowing out of the rear vents located in the back upper panel which also houses a tape deck and an am\fm radio (which are not working right now, they move and the little light comes on but they don't work). I get this heat even when the A\C is not even turned on. The first time that I turned it on, it blew hot air on my legs in the front, so I turned it all off and have not touched it since. Now everytime the ignition is started it blows air so hot it is unbearable. I am in the process of restoring this van and would like to know what re-charging the a\c would entail. This van still has some ways to go to be pristine but I am trying a little at a time. Any comments and help for a novice?
Thanks and thanks again.

Add your comment to this topic!