Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'' Accord V6 Starting Problem

psquared76
06-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi All

I have a '99 Accord V6 with 109,000 miles. Lately when I go to start it, it has been cranking longer and longer before it fires. Once it fires up, it seems to run fine.

At 36,000 miles I had the ignition replaced (recall).
At 72,000 miles I replaced the main fuel pump relay (was a slightly diffent starting problem...it would fire but then die).
At 103,000 miles I replaced the air filter.
At 105,000 miles I replaced the spark plugs with OEM NGKs hoping it would fix the problem...it didn't.
Last week I ran a bottle of fuel injector clean...it didn't solve the problem either.

Any ideas about what I could troubleshoot or swap out next? Any advice would be appreciated.

jeffcoslacker
06-04-2008, 09:24 PM
If it does it worse the longer it sits, likely suspects are fuel pressure bleed down or faulty mixture control when starting.

Fuel issue could come from a faulty fuel pressure regulator...sometimes a leaking injector will do this too, but will usually run rough once started until it clears the fuel from the affected cylinder...

There is a plunger valve similar to how an EGR works that controls idle mixture by metering the amount of air allowed to bypass the closed throttle plate at idle...basically it serves the purpose of a choke on a fuel injected motor, allowing for a richer mixture at start-up.

Sometimes they get dirty and stick open slightly, making the computer unable to create the rich mix needed to start right up when the motor is cold. They can be removed and cleaned.

You don't have problems with a jumpy tach do you? Some V6 Accords had a problem with the ignition coil that caused the tach to jump around and other problems like slow start and misfire.

Crank/cam position sensors going bad cause this on a lot of cars, but haven't found it to be real common on Hondas.

psquared76
06-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Is the plunger valve you're referring to the Idle Air Control valve (I found it listed in my Haynes Manual)? If so, what is proper way to clean it (carb cleaner, brake cleaner, contact)?

After the engine fires, it doesn't run rough, so I don't think it's a bleeding injector...maybe the pressure regulator though.

My tach isn't jumpy so it probably isn't the ignitition coil.

Thanks for the reply!

jeffcoslacker
06-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Is the plunger valve you're referring to the Idle Air Control valve (I found it listed in my Haynes Manual)? If so, what is proper way to clean it (carb cleaner, brake cleaner, contact)?

After the engine fires, it doesn't run rough, so I don't think it's a bleeding injector...maybe the pressure regulator though.

My tach isn't jumpy so it probably isn't the ignitition coil.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah the IAC...you can clean it with carb cleaner and a toothbrush. Make sure the seat is real clean any grit will let it leak when closed. Just don't do anything that would scratch the seat and you'll be good.

Add your comment to this topic!