Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

preserving old rotors

nmikmik
06-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I know that new rotors are not that expansive but it just hurts trowing away a good rotors. My wife is fairly aggressive driver and i got into habit of changing her rotors when I do the front brakes on her car. Every time it pedal pulsation. Should i have someone turn the used rotors for me and cover it with some kind of preserving lubricant or just store them as they are and turn them when I need them? I do know I will need them :disappoin I also know they will get rust pitted if i don't take care of them while in storage. So what cheap solution can i use to preserve the rotors?
Thanks!

Brian R.
06-04-2008, 04:55 PM
No matter if you want to turn them before or after storage, I would put them in an air-tight plastic bag and tape the bag shut so that water can't get in. This will prevent pitting as long as they are dry to begin with and you don't put a hole in the bag by accident.

Mike Gerber
06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
I did this about 5 years ago. I had to buy new rotors late one night as I couldn't find anybody to turn the old ones. The next day I took the old rotors to be turned and then to a friend's shop for suggetions on storing them. We sprayed them thoroughly with WD-40 and then wrapped them in heat shrink plastic and shrunk it around the rotors. Then back in the replacement rotor boxes. I haven't checked them in years and I'm not sure I will, since replacement rotors are now relatively cheap. If you do store them this way, just be sure you wash them down thoroughly with brake-clean and clean paper towels before you use them again.

Mike

jdmccright
06-05-2008, 09:10 AM
You could turn a set and have them ready to swap out when you change the brakes. WD-40 isn't a bad choice, but it's also low-viscosity so it can be messy if sprayed too thick. There are anti-corrosion sprays available for marine applications that are alot more effective for long-term storage. These dry to an impermeable barrier that are only removeable with solvent.

I'd do this:

1) Turn the rotors (presuming they are still turnable)
2) Spray down with anti-corrosive spray (WD-40 or other)
3) Bag them in freezer storage bags (I believe 2-gallon bags are available)
4) Toss a dessicant pack in the bag (optional)
5) When ready to use, pull them out and wipe off pad wear areas with solvent (like brake cleaner) to remove the coating.

You could also paint them with some inexepensive rust-preventative paint. I've done this to rear drums and rear rotors on two vehicles and so far I've seen no rust (except where the pads run). The brand is ColorPlace and it is guaranteed for 2 years without any primer (I primed them anyways because mine are on the vehicle...just in case).

1) Turn the rotors.
2) Brush/buff off heavy rust...down to bright metal if possible but not necessary for this purpose.
3) Blow off dust with air & wipe down with brake cleaner.
4) Spray them with paint...1-2 coats, inside & out, should be good...including the pad wear areas.
5) Let dry & store in the original boxes (or in bags, but let them air dry very good so that any residual solvent fumes won't soften the bags) again, dessicant bag optional.
6) When ready to use, pull them out and take a razor blade and remove the paint from the pad wear areas.

Hope this helps!

nmikmik
06-10-2008, 11:29 PM
thanks guys! Eh what the heck? i thought i'll give it try if it doesn't wok i'm out 20 if it does i am up 40-50 so,,, we'll & i hope i remember to let you know.

Brian R.
06-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Remember that any preservative you put on the rotor and don't remove to bare metal will end up on the brake pads.

Add your comment to this topic!