Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Reverse Only!

g2b2
06-03-2008, 08:27 AM
This morning the car would not go into drive..it would only go into reverse...I had to play with the steering wheel, twisting it over and over, before I finally got the car into gear. Any ideas what is happening? This is the second time....240DL Station Wagon - 247,000 miles - great condition...Thanks

jsinton
06-13-2008, 08:13 AM
I don't understand why turning the steering wheel has an effect on the transmission. Could you please try to describe what's happening in greater detail? Thanks.

g2b2
06-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks for replying....I believe my problem is in the micro switch for the steering wheel lock....I was able to locate the manual steering lock release under the cover for the gear shift and get the car to go into gear. I'm sure now that twisting the steering wheel has nothing to do with getting the car into gear, but it gave me something to do!
The transmission works great....I just have to try and decide if replacing the switch is a "do it yourself" project or do I bite the dust and take to the garage. Thanks for any info or advice you might have.

jsinton
06-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Sorry to tell you, the floor mounted transmission gear shift on an automatic transmission is a strictly mechanical device, there's no electronic "lockout" device there to inhibit you from putting the transmission in gear. There's very little to adjust or repair. Are you sure you're pressing the button on top enough to move the gear shift?

Add your comment to this topic!