'00 Durango Leaking Anti-Freeze

cdeez
06-03-2008, 01:21 AM
My 2000 5.9 v8 Dodge Durango leaks antifreeze after the car is warmed up and parked or has been idling for some time. It has overheated before, so I am hoping it is not a head gasket.

I have replaced both the waterpump, upper radiator hose, thermostat and gasket (twice). I have noticed a leak at the top of the water pump, but it does NOT appear to be coming from the water-pump (since I have replaced it twice within a 18 month time span) More of the lines of the timing cover gasket below the thermostate housing and above the water pump. The leak appears small, but I am tired of the puddles and the cost of buying antifreeze. :banghead:

I am tempted to replace the timing cover gasket hoping that this will stop the leak. I have no water in my oil at this time or white smoke. I just get the honors of "maple syrup" every where I go and a puddle.

I am at ends with this leak. Just need some advice before I do more work then necessary.

2000izusu
06-03-2008, 07:01 AM
did you replace the top waterpump bypass hose when you did the waterpump? (this is the hose that you need to take off the front engine bracket, that holds the power steering,alt and ac, to get to.)

next thing to do is pump the system up with a hand pump and look for leaks!

Benzman
06-03-2008, 06:00 PM
It is possible that there is pitting around the thermostat housing. Also could be buildup on the bypass hose barb.
I don't see any advantage in replacing the timing chain cover.

cdeez
06-04-2008, 09:16 PM
I have replaced both the waterpump, upper radiator hose, thermostat and gasket (twice). I have noticed a leak at the top of the water pump, but it does appear to be coming from the water-pump (since I have replaced it twice)

It does not leak from the waterpump at all. It only leaks above the pump and runs down the pump. I meant to put a NOT in there. Sorry for any confusion.:screwy:

jdmccright
06-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I agree with 2000isuzu. Find/beg/borrow a coolant system pressure test kit and pressurize it. Any leaks should be visible as dripping, weeping, or a pinhole leak.

Add your comment to this topic!