Axle splines...

plkelley
03-06-2003, 05:23 PM
How many splines on a 90 Si Hatch? 23 or 26

marked001
03-06-2003, 06:23 PM
...maybe I havent been in the 'game' for awhile, but arent all 88-91 dx/si axles the same? ...and the only issue is the spline count on input shaft on the tranny? or am I being forgetful :)

Marc-OS
03-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by marked001
...maybe I havent been in the 'game' for awhile, but arent all 88-91 dx/si axles the same? ...and the only issue is the spline count on input shaft on the tranny? or am I being forgetful :)

Well, for CRX's, 88's had a different spline count than the 89-91's. I dunno if it's the same for Civics though.

FourthGenHatch
03-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by plkelley
How many splines on a 90 Si Hatch? 23 or 26

STD had 23, DX/SI had 26.

plonger
03-06-2003, 08:42 PM
dx/si axles have 26 splines and hf/std have 23 splines (outer splines)
88 tranny have different splines just on the clutch .
:)

plkelley
03-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanx guys..thats all I needed

skotman
10-22-2004, 01:04 AM
this info helped me out a lot.
i own an 89 honda crx DX

i've been working for months fixing things here and there, trying to figure out where the horrible vibrating i was feeling was coming from.

the first thing i suspected was the motor mounts. i discovered a broken one and changed it. it still shook like the dickens. i discovered the rear mount was also broken, so i replaced it. still vibrated like crazy. so i just threw my hands up and decided to replace both of the remaining mounts without looking at them. they were pretty rotten and deteriorated, but i decided that they probably had nothing to do with the vibrating, as i've seen far worse on cars that drove smoothly. all of this took place a few days apart to allow time to get the parts in, because i never dreamed i'd replace all 4.

i knew i was overdue for an alignment, so when i finally got a free couple hours, i took it in to the local tire shop and got an alignment, wheel balance, and rotation.

still shook like crazy, and they pointed out that my alignment was way off and had worn my tires badly on the inside. they were angled slightly as if they'd been runing diagonally.

a few days later, i brought it back in and they suggested relacing the 2 worn tires. i knew better than that, but i went along with it, because i couldn't imagine what else it could be. they ensured me that i didn't have a bent rim. they did say that the driveaxle cv joints were worn and ought to be replaced soon, but didn't think they were shaking the car.

after 2 new tires, still shaking.
i finally decide to change the driveaxles. they told me i'd have to take mine off and bring it in because my year car had 2 different spline counts (????). i was certain he was mistaken and ran upon this thread. to shorten the story, i picked up the correct axles though the guy was like "are you sure about that spline count?" anyway, changed them (took 7 hours cause i've never done this before, and because one bloody bolt was so hard to get to that i had to use just a regular wrench to take it out. that took perhaps 20 minutes just for the bolt.) the car rides so smoothly now, i'm so happy.

on the other hand, i had a jackstand in the wrong position and it made a small hole in my floorboard underneath the carpet... ugh... if it's not one thing it's another.

skotman
10-22-2004, 01:37 AM
oops
sorry about gravedigging.
didn't realize how old this was. the search engine just pulled it up is all.

Add your comment to this topic!