welps, i got a decision

Chiquae07
06-02-2008, 12:27 AM
I've been test driving numerous amounts of cars, and the 2 that stick out are the mazda 3 sedan 2.0, and the rx-8.

now, im trying to decide between the two.

handling : both of them are a blast. the 3's suspention is perfect for the car, and it reminds me of the sentra thats still in the driveway. i had my father in the passenger seat, and my brother in the middle seat in the rear, and it still was amazing to handle. the rx-8's suspention is perfect in every way and form. had just the saleman with me. a tad different from the sentra and the 3 as they are a little more front heavy, but thats about it. the 3 has just the right amount of understeer, and the rx8 was perfect. kept the dsc on for the test drive.

brakes : the 3's seemed a little less than the sentra, but i did have 2 passengers, and just did a brake upgrade to dot 4 super blue fluid, brembo blanks, and metal master pads. the rx-8 was just perfect. would stop on a dime and the pressure felt great. a little on the soft side for my taste, but a brake fluid change can fix that.

trans : the 3 has a 5 speed and the 8 has a 6 speed. the 3's gears reminded me of my sentra's gears, but were faster to get through as they are smaller and the 3 can rev higher. the 8s gears are jsut perfect in every way. both cars transmissions were very smooth, and i liked both of them a lot. i ended up rev matching with the 3 and the 8 and the 8 was a bit smoother, but then again the rotary doesnt have overlap, so its oviously smoother. i did like the fact the 8 had 6 gears, as the rpms sat rather low at 65mph.

oviously i like both of the cars very much. i did do my research about rotaries and i understand the need to keep the car maintained.

they both are priced reasonably the same. the 8 is about 1500 more, but i should be able to get it for a steal as it has been on the lot for awhile, and its modded. the 8 also needs a taillamp, as its cracked as well.

here comes my problem:

3 pros:
better gas milage
fwd great for snow
cheaper than the 8 for insurance

8 pros:
faster
50/50 weight
rwd mean more fun in autox

3 cons:
reminds me of just a manual vers of the sentra
might need a brake upgrade for my tastes
they are almost everywhere

8 cons:
rwd in snow
less gas milage
said to eat a qt of oil every 1500 miles or so

so, what would you go with and why?

93rollaracer
06-02-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd go with the RX8 for looks and performance, but for me, reliability is a huge deal, so that'd be rough. I'd go with the 3 for the reliability and gas milage. Depends on what's more important to you.

Oh and if it snows a lot where you are, the 3 for sure.

GForce957
06-02-2008, 12:58 AM
What other cars have you test driven and why didn't you like them?

Chiquae07
06-02-2008, 01:13 AM
What other cars have you test driven and why didn't you like them?

i'll put it into a diff thread. dont want to make this thread ot.

MZR_47
06-02-2008, 01:34 AM
My vote is for the RX-8 for sake of performance and visual appeal. I like the 3 HBs better (MS3 FTW) but I would say RX-8. Yes, RWD will suck in the winter, but thats why you buy polygon's GTC :D

Sure the rotary is less reliable, but dayum they sound good.

EDIT: to avoid the repost.... You should have to change your Avatar like I did. That was my original one, but people kept thinking I was Cassies. His has freakin EYES so idk how they got confused, but just putting it out there. Color the background black or something. Just to prevent impotent creatures like myself from thinking Cassies bought a new car and had a Sentra.

rice(er)
06-02-2008, 03:20 AM
not sure why you are comparing those two, chiqua.

In my mind, mazda created the rx-8 the be a pure sports car. The 3 on the other hand, 4-dr grocery getter, right? Unless ofcourse you're talking about the turbo 3. If that's the case, boost > n/a (in the long run) But also, rwd > fwd ;)

something to think about ;)

silentscreams85
06-02-2008, 09:36 AM
get the rx8. keep the sentra as your daily driver, and for snow days.

AMGalltheway
06-02-2008, 04:47 PM
You only live once, go for the 8.

Chiquae07
06-02-2008, 10:43 PM
well, as it always happens, as soon as i save up enough money to buy something decently fast and fun to drive, apparently i cant afford them any more. the sentra took a crap, and have to fix it. great. new engine and suspension. pops hit me with the 'lemon law' as i sold it to him.

maybe im not ment to have what i want after all :swear:

lax20
06-02-2008, 11:05 PM
dang man im sorry. that sucks. i would just buy what i needed and save the rest and still go for that car either the rx8 or the mazda3.

MZR_47
06-02-2008, 11:26 PM
what the hell are the odds of that? what happened to the engine AND suspension at the same time?

98BlackTransAm
06-02-2008, 11:42 PM
what about an rx-7? cheaper, faster, and no more unreliable than the rx-8. and i don't kno if age is in your criteria, but a TT 300zx or mid 90's vr-4 also come to mind.

Chiquae07
06-02-2008, 11:54 PM
what the hell are the odds of that? what happened to the engine AND suspension at the same time?

pops was driving the car on a crappy road. apparently he was trying to get away from someone, and hit a pretty big pothole(construction around here. they are taking out blocks of concrete in the road and kids are moving the wood covering the holes at night :( ) at around 70+. front struts are gone, and the motor moved a little. dont know if it knocked anything else on its small move but ill find out soon enough. hopefully the engine is still good, only got it towed to the house, but it needs new front stuts and control arms to say the least. the mount that went i actually have in the back seat of the car, but i diddnt think it would go just yet. im surprised the wheels diddnt crack.

i guess the car is messed up from 'autox' as he claims....cant argue over it as its his roof over my head and food i eat, and he paid for it in the first place...

-The Stig-
06-03-2008, 01:49 AM
Omg Chiquae07... It's Suspension! No T... No T!!

phew... sorry... but somebody had to say it.

Continue on.

Gotian
06-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Woah, Woah, Woah.

This is my thread, lol!

1st things 1st.
DO NOT GET AN 04 RX-8 Those had the worst reliability out of all the years to date. Get an 05 as the problems with the 04's were taken care of. If you do get an 04-05 rx-8 make sure all the recalls were taken care of and you have the latest reflash from Mazda. Make sure you check under the car for no oil leaks, make sure you open the oil cap and look inside if you see the slightest hint of sludge RUN, DONT WALK, AWAY. If you turn on the car and see black smoke get away from it.

2nd things (things that are okay)
If you turn on the car and it has a little trouble starting (meaning that it took a little delay cranking) its okay, that is a recall to replace the starter. The 1 quart every 1500 is exaggerated, usually you check every 2nd gas fill up just incase (especially after driving hard) but in reality you add half a quart every 2000 miles and change the oil at 3000. Slight vibration in the car is fine, the car does that brand new, thats just how it is especially since the tranny is right under your cup holders. Heat coming from the cup holder is normal (again from the tranny) You know youre a RX-8 owner if you can make cup ramen from putting it in your front cup holders.

3rd things to expect when you have the car.
You will have to use premium. (91-93 octane) Midgrade will be okay if its a cool day or winter time. You will be paying around $60-70 to fill up your tank from empty (with our current gas prices at premium) The oil you use is up to you, I use royal purple, though you can use regular non synthetic oil as well since thats what mazda recommends anyways. The weight of the oil depends on where you live as well, the car manual says 5w-20 but what is really recommended (according to mazda japan) is 10w-30 (ford placed the 5w-20 on the car...stupid) But since the engine gets extremely hot extremely fast and I live in miami i opt for a thicker oil 10w-40 while people in cooler climates opt for a thinner oil 5w-30.

Things I recommend when looking for the RX-8
1st get it manual (auto is waaaaay to underpowered for a car already considered underpowered)
2nd get the sports package. (If there is a little button that says DSC next to the coin tray to the left of the steering wheel then that is the sports package) if you are going to be auto crossing you need to be able to turn off the DSC and traction (hold it for 7 seconds).
3rd dont get the leather seats (the cloth ones are more comfortable and hold you better in turns.) this package adds alot of weight to the car turning a 2890Lb car into a 3300 which is about an average .4 difference down the 1/4 which is why you see times ranging from 14.5-15.1.

Dont let people tell you its unreliable, the car is very reliable and there are plenty of rx-8's over 100k now running around with no problems what-so-ever. there are even some on the RX-8 boards with over 150,000 daily driven and driven hard.

One more thing about the RX-8 When buying new tires dont get the stock potenzas all over again, they are too expensive and you can get better ones for cheaper.

Gotian
06-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Wow that was long.

Mazda 3 time.
Only thing i have to say about this great car is that the gas you will save is amazing, lol.
RX-8 says 18mpg, pssh my ass. out of my tank in city driving i get about 230 miles.

Gotian
06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
And sorry about the accident on your sentra, you will get what you want, it all just takes time. I mean i was looking to replace the jetta but look what happened and its still not fixed (sucks...) If you really want to replace the sentra you will, so dont give up and keep pushing for what you want.

Polygon
06-03-2008, 11:16 PM
My vote is for the RX-8 for sake of performance and visual appeal. I like the 3 HBs better (MS3 FTW) but I would say RX-8. Yes, RWD will suck in the winter, but thats why you buy polygon's GTC :D

LOL, actually the GTC sucks ass in the snow thanks to the tires. The Stealth isn't bad if you keep out of the boost.

Anyhow, for the OP. If the two I would go with the 3 if you're going to have contend with snow. If the not the RX-8 would be fine but I wouldn't DD it and not because I would be concerned about reliability. I would be concerned with keep it in good shape.

GForce957
06-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Whats your price range?

S2000? Reliable, great for AutoX, good on gas

MZR_47
06-04-2008, 12:24 AM
S2K would be pretty fun, but if its anything like it is here they arent exactly a common thing to find for sale. Get something faster than a 3 Sedan :) If you are getting a new car, go big.

And what Gotian said, dont give up. I had a good 4 different occurances where I was going to get a car then something came up and couldnt get it. Then out of nowhere, in the course of two days, with NO intention of getting a Cobalt SS.... I got one :S

GForce957
06-04-2008, 01:54 AM
And what Gotian said, dont give up. I had a good 4 different occurances where I was going to get a car then something came up and couldnt get it. Then out of nowhere, in the course of two days, with NO intention of getting a Cobalt SS.... I got one :S

Exact same thing happened to me :eek7:

Chiquae07
06-04-2008, 08:28 PM
well, i got the sentra going again today. the struts need to be changed still, but i changed the engine mount, and it was definetly gone. control arm on the passenger side was gone, but the drivers side was fine. i changed them both just to be safe. the car bounces up and down like a ricer, and a basketball, but i can drive it to and from work.

for those of you that are saying to put what i have remined on the car and still get it, the point of buyin the car was tp pay it all in cash, and suck it up with the insurrance, as being 19 with insuring a car period is a pita. so id rather pay 300 a month on insurance rather than a 500 bucks for insurance and a car note.

i guess im going to take it as a reminder saying that i shouldnt buy a car yet. who knows whats happening with the economy next year...

for the time being, imma just fix the sentra, and drive it into the ground via auto x with some tires and suspension mods. get it going nicely in sts.

CassiesMan
06-09-2008, 12:35 PM
not sure why you are comparing those two, chiqua.

In my mind, mazda created the rx-8 the be a pure sports car.

And failed horribly. Underpowered, not that great looking, and doesn't handle all that well for the price range. One of the guys in my club has a regular 3 with some suspension mods and a few power bolt ons...took it out to TMSR and was tearing up RX8. Both cars are slow, so I think they compare perfectly.

And whats with all the anti rear drive bias in the snow? Do you people not know how to drive? I drove a RWD car in Mizzery when we got about fourteen inches of snow in one night. Drove it to Wal Mart in the middle of said storm, didn't have a problem once. Gas is gonna be expensive no matter what one you buy with the way prices are going. Just do what I did and get used to it.

If your gonna get a used Mazda, just get a rolling shell FC and drop in a 2JZ or LS1, or an FD.

MZR_47
06-09-2008, 02:12 PM
2JZ is all you will ever need. Cassies is right, now that I think about it. I just say fuck it, you are screwed no matter what you do these days with gas the way they are. We managed to drive my buddy's LS1 camaro in several inches of snow. it worked, but it moved like a boat at 5mph. Swinging back and forth like a mother, but hey we got from A to B so it was a success.

get something fast as hell that will most likely get you killed. :)

Gotian
06-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Cassies youre preaching to someone who likes the RX-8 almost as much as i do, dont think you will change his mind about buying one, not to mention its a ton more reliable than the fd and it makes it even better now that they extended the factory warranty on the engine to 8 years/ 100k miles. The rolling shell FC thing is a great idea and a fun project but its no longer a rotary (if that is what you wanted in the first place) and it can sometimes be more costly then buying a newer car.

If those are the two cars he is deciding between give him the pros and cons not bash on one car. Also for the cars in the pricing range the rx-8 is one of the best handling cars you can buy, it has better handling then the 350z and obviously the mustang GT as both of those are compared since they fall within the 25-30k category. Sure it doesnt have as much power but you cant say the handling is as bad as you made it out to be. And im not just being biased either, i have driven the 350 and the Mustang GT and my car does handle alot better than both, the 350 feels heavy in a turn where the rx-8 goes through gracefully requiring less effort.

Pros of RX-8:
Handling, comfort of 4 bucket seats, sports car with 4 doors so you dont have to push your front seats up, 9k redline (10k when you tune it) Chicks love the car (always a plus, lol) 50/50 balancing, decently quick for an everyday driver and awsome for autocossing and road courses, mods really open up the car once you go with F/I

Cons of RX-8:
Gas mileage (till you tune for better gas mileage), recommended use of premium, tires are expensive, oil can get expensive if you are using synthetic (though you can use regular oil and be just fine as its recommended) mods arent cheap (Mazsport turbo kit for 400 whp is $8k) Insurance is more expensive than the Mazda 3.

Pros of the Mazda 3:
Gas mileage, Cheaper to purchase, Insurance is lower, good handling for the price, runs on regular gas, you can buy a newer model mazda 3 for the same price of an older rx-8

Cons of the Mazda 3:
handling is not as good as the rx-8 despite what cassies says, you need to spend a good amount of money to equal the abilities of the stock rx-8, most likely the drivers were just that much different in skill level. Chicks prefer the sports car (just thought i'd throw it in there, lol) Thats all i can think of right now.

My complete honost opinion, the way gas prices are sky rocketing the mazda 3 would not be a bad idea to buy, tires are cheaper, maintenance is cheaper, you would be saving alot more money if you bought the mazda 3 instead. When you buy a car like the rx-8 (any sports car actually) you really need to think hard if thats what you want, a sports car in general has higher insurance, lower reliability, and more chances of getting pulled over when compared to your average grocery getter. I chose the RX-8 because i absolutely loved the car and I still do, which is why I stand by it and mazda for making a great car and for their continuous backing of the rotary in general. You said you were going to keep the sentra for now, great, that will save you the pain of watching $60-$70 go into your gas tank to fill up. And when youre ready to get a car like this, or any sports car in general, you will know and you will be completely happy with whatever purchase you make, because it was YOUR decision.

CassiesMan
06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Chicks love the car (always a plus, lol)
I always see that on here, and I always pray that you are joking. If you need a sports car to pull some strange, then you really need to take a step back and figure out what you are doing wrong. My last girlfriend and I started dating when I was driving the Rav4, my current girl and I started dating and my car is hardly a sexy magazine cover sports car. Its a slowly starting to get beat up, cheap ass paint, boring looking hatchback.

Gotian
06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I only put that cause no matter where I have my car parked whenever i open the door i always get complements from different chicks. I never said i got with any of them because i have been with my girl for 5 years and have never and would never cheat on her. I only said that because girls/women like the car and so i was stating the truth, lol.

MZR_47
06-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Gotian speaks the truth. Chicks dig the RX-8, i dont know what it is about them, they just do. I get compliments for mine all the time, mostly because of the blue interior :\ but hey Ill take em where they come I guess.

But mileage isnt going to matter when we are all paying $4+ a gallon. You get screwed anyways, so just as long as you are in the low 20s you are golden

Add your comment to this topic!