Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ignition keeps getting stuck

porrsher
06-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Anyone else having issues with the key turning? I have to sit and play with it to get it to turn. Is there a TSB on this?

Rimmer
06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

Try this site?

MT-2500
06-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Anyone else having issues with the key turning? I have to sit and play with it to get it to turn. Is there a TSB on this?

What year and engine?

MT-2500
06-05-2008, 09:50 AM
tsb 06-02-35-016C date 7 10 02
certain years?
Pertains to removing lock cylinder and cleaning and lubing it with special gm lubercaint.

Fresno 126
06-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Amen, that is sound advise best I have heard in awhile.

If you could awnser a question , I will give a copy of the product when it comes out.

http://www.askdatabase.com/campaigns/?af=41989

srbetts
06-29-2008, 10:07 PM
I've had my Equinox for a week and all the sudden the key wont turn in the ignition. It takes about 10 min. sometimes to start the rig after a struggle. Seems the tumbler is stripped. Anyone else having this issue or know of an alternative to sending it back to the dealership with a fight to get it fixed?:banghead:

Fresno 126
06-29-2008, 11:10 PM
I've had my Equinox for a week and all the sudden the key wont turn in the ignition. It takes about 10 min. sometimes to start the rig after a struggle. Seems the tumbler is stripped. Anyone else having this issue or know of an alternative to sending it back to the dealership with a fight to get it fixed?:banghead:

I am guessing you were unable to disassemble and lube the ingition lock assembly. if your car is under 60,000 miles or 5 years from being new, I can tell you what to say to get it repaired under warranty. If your car is older or above 60,000 miles there is no help less just paying for it to be repaired.Let me know and I will give you my phone number. :)

As a side note I am do a research project and could really use your input
http://www.askdatabase.com/campaigns/?af=41989

porrsher
07-16-2008, 11:06 PM
2006 3.4L.
This situation has gotten worst, I went to the dealership and they took it apart and lubed it for the third time. Well its still doing it. I dont know what else to do, luckily we wont keep this vehicle much longer (fleet).

jmagerl
10-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Don't know how to describe it. When my key wont turn, I have to back off the steering wheel. Sometimes the steering wheel puts pressure on the lock mechanism and turning the wheel just a tad to relieve it is all it takes to turn the key

MT-2500
10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Don't know how to describe it. When my key wont turn, I have to back off the steering wheel. Sometimes the steering wheel puts pressure on the lock mechanism and turning the wheel just a tad to relieve it is all it takes to turn the key

That is normal operation.
Park it with wheels straight and wiggle the wheel a little to release pressure on the steering wheel lock up.
Good luck

tyland66
12-15-2009, 09:28 PM
We have a 07 Torrent that the key is sticking also. we have taken it to the dealership 3 or 4 times now and hopefully will have it fixed in a week. They were able to duplicate the problem and believe it to be the shifter or a solenoid, it kinda acts like a neutral safety switch which would only let you remove the key while it is park

seadog95
01-13-2010, 05:02 PM
tsb 06-02-35-016C date 7 10 02
certain years?
Pertains to removing lock cylinder and cleaning and lubing it with special gm lubercaint.and tbs 09-02-35-005 for 07-09 Equinox

3echo9
02-11-2010, 08:37 AM
The wife's 2005, 3.4L, 59,000 miles, keeps sticking when she tries to remove the key. We took it to the dealer but they couldn't replicate the problem.

Her stearing column was rubbing and making an awful noise. They greased it up and charged us $100.

TJS68
07-20-2011, 07:47 PM
My 2006 Equinox had the same problem with the key not turning/getting stuck. It's the ignition lock and if you go online and type in "Equinox key wont turn" you'll see taht this is a VERY common problem with various years of Equinoxes. Please report this issue to Chevy!! A recall will never be issued if the problem isn't officially reported to Chevy!! You can call Chevy Customer Assistance at 1-800-222-1020 or you can email them here http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/mds/helpcenter/contactUs.do
Even if you've already had to pay for repairs yourself regarding this issue you should still call and report it to Chevy so the complaint for this issue will be officially logged. If enough people report it and a recall gets issued you will be reimbursed for expenses you've already incurred. I cant say it enough: Please take the time to report it to Chevy! One voice isn't heard - many voices are loud and clear! It's BS that we all have to pay to repair what is clearly a widespread Equinox problem and clearly a defect in manufacturing!!!! Report it, report it, report it!

romandiaz
10-11-2011, 04:20 PM
So my problem was that I could turn the key without a bunch shaking and jarring the ignition switch.

1. Took three screws out of the bottom of the steering column

2. Disconnected the cables from the ignition assembly

3. Unbolted the assembly from steering column.

4a. Watch a video on remove GM cylinder from the ignition assembly.
4b. Then another video i found showed how to rekey the cylinder. Even without those videos, its not a hard job.

5. Ordered part ACDelco part D1411G / GM Part 19120481 (got from amazon for $25 bucks, should have done this first, but I thought lubing it would fix this)

6. So I got the cylinder out of the ignition assembly. You turn key to ACC and then insert a thick paperclip or cell phone stylus into the release hold and then the cylinder pops out.
***Note that this was the hardest part, you don't need alot of pressure to release the spring but it needs to be lined up perfectly, a stylus worked easy and a paperclip took alot of effort. And you cannot release the cylinder unless you are able to turn the key. If you can't turn the key, you have to drill the cylinder.

7. With Cylinder removed, you can pull the flat copper spring retaining clip on the cylinder and 10 springs will be exposed. These are the smallest springs I have ever seen, so be careful.

8. Then carefully you pull each key notch thing out (I used paper clip to push from bottom). And write down the number inscribed, and its position. You may need a magnifying glass.

9. Then opened the new cylinder and put each number into its proper place.

10. Installed it back into the car and everything worked...
*** Note when you line it back up, you will feel a notch as you skew the "tree" and cylinder on the steering column.

It was shockingly easy once i had the replacement part. Don't waste time lubing this or messing around, just get a new cylinder, match it to your key and go. This was the first time I have tried this and would easily do it again. Took 30 minutes.

Equinox13
11-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I have an '06 Equinox with the same problem, it was starting just fine then the key just wouldn't turn in the ignition after i got off work one night about a week ago. I turned the steering wheel a little thinking that was the problem, key still wouldn't move. After jiggling the key around in the ignition for about 10 mins it started...super frustrating though!! I had been dealing with this for a few days and didn't want to get stranded so i finally broke down and took it into a mechanic. He told me i have to take it to the dealership to get it fixed!! The good news is he figured out how to start it...just mess with the shifter and/or push the brake pedal to the floor while turning the key gently. This is working decently for the time being and I can't afford to get charged an arm and a leg by the dealership....just don't know how long it will last before i get stranded. Anybody know if this is a repair i can put off for a couple months or does it get bad quickly? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

romandiaz
11-20-2011, 08:16 AM
30 bucks for the part, socket set, thick paper clip or stylus and this problem is fixed

dondude
02-17-2014, 08:34 PM
we have had a stuck ignition key for a long time but have been living with it by jiggling the key but it has been getting steadily worse. this is what happened today. first of all do NOT change your lock cylinder. there is nothing wrong with it. our key was severly worn out so we got a key made at our local ace hardware store but it didnt help because all you are doing is making a new key from a bad key. it wont help. i thought it was the lock cylinder too so i bought a new one and started to remove the old one but i could never get it out so i gave up. i eventually ended up going to the dealership after trying for three hours to remove the cylinder. well guess what, it was the best thing i ever did. they were actually very cool and honest about it. he called me and told me your lock cylinder is fine. i couldnt believe it. he said its your key. you have to go the dealership and they can make a key that is factory coded to your car. we put the new key in and there you go it works perfectly and feels like a key should feel. problem solved. best $130.00 dollars i ever spent. i dont think a new lock cylinder would have even fixed the problem anyway!

Add your comment to this topic!