Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

front wheel bearings

drew51074
06-01-2008, 10:03 AM
does anyone know if the front wheel bearings on a 2002 pt cruiser 2.4l turbo have to be pressed in?? or just dropped in. i have a friend of mine that need his bearings replaced and he was going to take the hour drive to my house for me to do them for him because he's getting 600-800 dollar estamates from local shops. if there are pressed in, i can't do them i dont think, unless someone knows a trick to it. i've done some cars with pressed bearings that i just knock out with a hammer and a impact socket the same size as the bearing, and just installed them the same way. with a impast socket, short extension, and a hammer. any ideas? i'd hate for him to drive all that way just to find out i cant do it. thanks.

nygacr95
06-11-2008, 07:09 AM
those bearings need pressed in. I had my front hubs off to do this, and I am not sure how they come apart. It looks like the assembly has to come of in stages, meaning it has to be pressed and unbolted, if that makes sense. Seems there is a bolted plate that has to come off somehow.

Mine did not seem bad, I could not get any play on the hub, and they seemed tight, so I took the bearings back, and figured the lower control arm bushings were th culprit. I think lower control arm bushings are a common failing point on these, and would be further curious as to hear what symptoms his PT has, just to see if I am on the right track...

If I am going down the highway, and give it a little gas, and lay out of it, I can feel a little movement in the front end. Likewise, when I turn the wheel slight left or right, I am getting vibration, but the problem is, I had the one hub off, that was suspect, and it did not seem to need wheel bearing replacement, and the bushings look shot. Mine has 56K on it if it is of any concern, and is a 02 as well.

Post up what you find, curious here as well

bignoisey
08-24-2008, 12:39 PM
I would also like any info on excessive front wheel play. My sister-in-law's 2002 PT was in to a shop and they told her it would need new hubs and bearings on both sides. Almost $700 just for labor. Has anyone had experience with this model? Is there a chronic problem in one particular area to check first? We took it to another shop for a second opinion.

bignoisey
08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
To complete the story if any one cares, we took it to a second shop and they said the front wheel bearings were worn, but just barely to the point of replacement, so we had the bearings done. Still expensive, but not as. Morale: When you someone tells you that you need an expensive repair on a part that shouldn't wear out (hubs) without even thorough diagnosis, get a second opinion.

yale329
12-18-2008, 06:42 AM
I find it hard to believe both front wheel bearing are "just about worn"?? They are, or not. Usually they go one at a time not both. Mind you I have a 2005, and was surprized that mine needed both bearings, motor mounts, tie rod ends and bushings, plus a motor mount. Now I am 56 and do not drive like a maniac. Car had only 50, 0000 KLMS Canadian. As for the front bearings, without the proper tools, don't even try to knock them out with a hammer. Installation should be done by a proffessinal, for they must be pressed in perfectly straight.

yale329
12-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Forgot to tell you how lucky you are. Had wheel bearings, contol arms, tie rods and some bushings, and 3 faulty tires changed at 47,000 klms, this is with more than six power steering bursts and leaks as stated in my post. I swear the car had to be damaged in transit when it was new. Count your blessings.Wayne from Canada.

AZBryants
05-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Had to replace both sides on my '05 Convertible at 42k. Cost was 600 bucks, total. Not amused with the repairs I've had to do to my car, either. At 36,570 miles, alternator and battery...just out of warranty. That was $580. 3 months later, was the front hubs... after that, 1 month later, A/C and transmission seal crapped out ... After that, 2 months later, second Alternator ... then, last month at 69K the turbo took a dump, but this was still covered under the power-train warranty (barely), with a $100 deductible fee to me. Can anyone but me see a pattern with this? I would consider this a lemon, or at the least a design flaw in the car. I think the turbo runs too hot in that little compartment, personally. I owned an '02 PT before this one, and also have an '06 Convertible that the wife drives that is not turbo, never have issues with it at all.

yale329
05-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Man, my friend , at age 57, I have never seen a car made so cheap. GET RID OF IT. I just recently did control arm bushings again, and sway bar in the back. Kinda giving up. Use synthetic oil every 5,000 km, Canadian. Get out while you can. Always feel free to email me. Good luck. Just an older grandfather but always available, IF I can help. Read my Posts. Might scare the heck out of you. Gettig tierd friend and the PT is going away real soon. They were posted much before All this Depression stuff, Wayne

nygacr95
05-31-2009, 12:17 AM
yeah, I got to say, that I am a bit disappointed in the overall upkeep on the PT. I can only say that I am able to do a lot of the stuff myself, and it keeps the cost down. I am right about 70,000 miles now, and thinking about all the stuff I did at 59K, makes me sad in the longevity of the parts. I like the car, but man, seems a bit premature on failure of these parts.

AZBryants
06-14-2009, 07:16 AM
Had to replace both sides on my '05 Convertible at 42k. Cost was 600 bucks, total. Not amused with the repairs I've had to do to my car, either. At 36,570 miles, alternator and battery...just out of warranty. That was $580. 3 months later, was the front hubs... after that, 1 month later, A/C and transmission seal crapped out ... After that, 2 months later, second Alternator ... then, last month at 69K the turbo took a dump, but this was still covered under the power-train warranty (barely), with a $100 deductible fee to me. Can anyone but me see a pattern with this? I would consider this a lemon, or at the least a design flaw in the car. I think the turbo runs too hot in that little compartment, personally. I owned an '02 PT before this one, and also have an '06 Convertible that the wife drives that is not turbo, never have issues with it at all.

......forgot about the upper motor mount that went when the turbo did ... another 250 bucks.

Add your comment to this topic!