Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking at an Envoy...

jsgold
06-01-2008, 04:57 AM
I am looking for a good 4x4 that can tow as well. One vehicle I am looking at is a 2004 envoy. Not familar with it but looks nice. Has 4.2 motor and tow package. Are these pretty good vehicles overall and how well does the 4.2 perform, other than some mpg issues I see. Not a daily driver if I get it so mpg not an issue.

jsgold
06-01-2008, 05:53 PM
let me clarify, I am looking for TOWING performance here, and opinions of the truck in general. I am looking at a 2004 4x4 that I think I can get for less than 9K, maybe lower... has 87K on it.

jdmccright
06-03-2008, 01:59 PM
If big time towing is going to be the primary purpose, then I'd personally opt for a real truck. You didn't say what you'd be towing or the weight it might be. I have an '03 Envoy XL with 4wd...it is rated to tow only ~4900 lbs...a reasonably small boat or small camper, or one-horse trailer with tack, etc. The 4.2L inline six is a good engine for hauling just the truck, but can't give you any serious grunt like a V8 will. Suspension isn't very firm either...unless it has the optional auto load leveling feature. Anything over abt 10,000lbs could warrant a gooseneck and a heavy-duty truck, but there are trucks with hitches that'll pull it...I think 11-12,000 lbs is the max I've seen. Above that and you definitely move into goosenecks.

I suggest going to www.trailerlife.com (http://www.trailerlife.com)

There is a link on the main page to their annual towing guides. There you can find the right truck/SUV that matches the towing capacity you're looking for...right down to the transmission, engine, rear diff, etc.

My recommendation, first find the weight of the trailer you want to tow...including all the equipment it's going to haul. Then find the truck that'll haul it. You'll have more peace of mind, and likely alot less maintenance issues when you have a truck that is made for it. hope this helps!

jsgold
06-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks! I have a pop up that only weighs 2200 lbs but am looking to move up to something in the 4000lb class, but no more for some time. I am also looking at adding a boat but nothing large. the envoy I looked at this evening was impressive as far as power went, but it had issues with electrical (speedo was off 20mph) and was not convinced it was dependable so I passed on it. Wife hated the cabin so i would hear about that every time we would take it out.. we ran across a 2004 Blazer LS, one owner that was well taken care of and had just come it. Not the HP I wanted but the price was right and it will haul my stuff at least for a couple of years. Thanks again.

jdmccright
06-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Goofy gauges are not uncommon on Envoys. I'll agree that the I-6 gives decent pep to the Envoy/Blazer, but not like the V8...towing would be higher too. I personally would have a tranny cooler installed if you're gonna haul weights close to the max limit. Good luck with the Blazer!

jsgold
06-03-2008, 10:37 PM
Have to admit, a V8 is what I wanted, but will be OK with this for now. Was looking for a bargain as well as a good truck, and this was a good one. Yes I agree on the tranny cooler. First thing I am going to add is a good cooler. I test drove a 2001 jeep that was nice but previous owner had run it with no cooler and hauled quite a bit. Tranny was slipping in first gear on me and I advised the seller he had problems.

Add your comment to this topic!