Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

PCV Rubber Elbow

chrisanthony
06-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Hi

I'm wondering if I can use a fuel line hose for the PCV horse rubber elbow, because I've checked 4 autoshops and couldnt find any. If not is there any other horse you guys suggest?.

Thanks Chris

tripletdaddy
06-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Emission hose is rated for the hot gas and oil that come off the engine. The fuel hose will eventually swell and fall apart. It can't take the combination of heat and oil. There's a silicone (red) hose that should be particularly good, but is more expensive.

mightymoose_22
06-01-2008, 10:22 AM
I replaced the elbow on mine with regular hose several years back. I just had then cut off a foot or so. I haven't ever had any problems with it. It isn't preformed in the elbow shape though, so I actually have a bit of a longer length so that it can bend without kinking up.

chrisanthony
06-01-2008, 11:10 AM
I replaced the elbow on mine with regular hose several years back. I just had then cut off a foot or so. I haven't ever had any problems with it. It isn't preformed in the elbow shape though, so I actually have a bit of a longer length so that it can bend without kinking up.

Hi what do you mean by regular hose?

AzTumbleweed
06-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Heater hose????

mightymoose_22
06-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I guess "regular" was a bad term :P
I just have a length of ordinary fuel hose... the stuff they pull off the reel if you ask for hose at the parts counter.

tripletdaddy
06-02-2008, 04:03 AM
Maybe I was thinking how diesel will swell and eat some hoses like heater and radiator hoses, but personally I'd favor the emissions hose, but fuel would be worth a try based on MM22's success. Some PCVs come already with a plastic add on barbed elbow pushed onto an otherwise typical straight PCV. I don't know if you can get the plastic elbow separately or you have to buy a whole PCV. Might be worth it as they are cheap and there's a good chance the actual valve can be matched to the one that fits your car.

AzTumbleweed
06-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I have an idea. Go to a hardware store and buy a metal elbow. Then you can attach a short length of hose to each end and it should fit right on. :2cents:

chrisanthony
06-04-2008, 09:54 PM
hi guys thanks for the replies..yea..i've been checking around..the ford dealership has it but u can only get it as a long hose for $38..and a fuel line is just $6, for now i temp have a lawn hose there..it doenst work to bad..but dont trust it for long.

chrisanthony
06-04-2008, 09:55 PM
I have an idea. Go to a hardware store and buy a metal elbow. Then you can attach a short length of hose to each end and it should fit right on. :2cents:

yea but the specfic size it needs to be is hard to get..

tripletdaddy
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Garden hose? That's original! The emission hose I mentioned should be readily available at most auto parts stores. What I've bought from Advanced Auto comes in various diameters prepackaged and under $6. Cheaper for smaller diameter. Some of the vacuum hose fittings may be large enough to fit you PCV, if not, a really good hardware store, plumbing store or ag store with have nylon fittings with barbed ends.

chrisanthony
08-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Garden hose? That's original! The emission hose I mentioned should be readily available at most auto parts stores. What I've bought from Advanced Auto comes in various diameters prepackaged and under $6. Cheaper for smaller diameter. Some of the vacuum hose fittings may be large enough to fit you PCV, if not, a really good hardware store, plumbing store or ag store with have nylon fittings with barbed ends.

just to let everyone know.. i tired a fuel line/emissions hose and it works perfect, its been 3 months now..

spytearbite
08-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Just use a good marine grade fuel line. This will take the heat like in an engine bay like radiator water hose. You cut it long enough so it does not have a kink in the line to close off the breather system. It makes no difference how long the hose is. Just make it so it is tight fitting and kink-free.

chrisanthony
08-17-2008, 04:01 PM
thats exactly what i did a while back...thanks mightymouse 22 for the idea..

Add your comment to this topic!