Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

toyota celica

lax20
05-31-2008, 11:14 PM
would the toyota celica be good for street racing?

MZR_47
05-31-2008, 11:25 PM
i believe the term is "good".... and unless it is a GT-S you better not try to race anybody, GTs are pretty damn slow. Mod em up right, and you can have something decently fast.

just go and get a GT-S.

lax20
05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
would a 2000+ eclipse or a lancer be better. im just trying to look at a car that will be pretty fast stock. so while im adding upgrades i can still race without losing all the time. thanks for the correction. im just tired and didnt know what i was typing.

GForce957
06-01-2008, 03:01 AM
all-trac

Chiquae07
06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
would the toyota celica be good for street racing?

o geez. as much as street racing has died in the past couple years, it all depends on year and such. its not like you are going to go out and say, wanna race me for a tank of gas and blah blah..

sure, a 2000 gts with i/h/e and ecu is into the 13s. i cant remember his name vip something had one and that was what he was running, and bought an alltrac.

CivRacer95
06-01-2008, 11:27 AM
VIP09 I believe was his name. Last I knew, his All-Trac was running successfully, and his GTS was dipping into the 13's as Chiq said. All he had as I knew it was basic mods. He was a pretty good driver as well.

Someone from these forums I believe had the pleasure of racing his Celica, not 100% sure...

As for Street Racing and all it's glory, if you are looking for a 2000+ vehicle with potential, try looking for something that was factory boosted (ie: supercharged, turbocharged). Pretty much most mod well, are decently quick from the lot, and so on. Plus, with the way gas prices are these days, a boosted car will come in pretty had for gas mileage (as long as you aren't stomping the pedal all day).

lamehonda
06-01-2008, 12:49 PM
honestly if you want a good street racing car these days, get something slow. Anything fast will take all the fun out of winning. BTW have you noticed that gas is approaching $5 a gallon? You might want to consider this when you buy your car. Depending on how many miles you drive, you might be able to justify spending extra on the car for the extra mileage. You, my friend, need a C6 corvette. 28 mpg baby.

MZR_47
06-01-2008, 06:24 PM
28 mpT you mean. And yes, factory boosted is a very good idea. They usually take to mods well. May I suggest a Mazdaspeed vehicle? or perhaps an Evolution or STi is more your thing. If price isnt a factor that is.

If thats the case get yourself a brand new M3 :D

Sleepr awd
06-01-2008, 08:04 PM
the kid is a noob. he just needs a civic.

lax20
06-01-2008, 08:59 PM
realy u noticed. that why i am asking questions that you all probably know. but as for how much i drive i would probably drive about 10-20 miles a day tops. not much. i dont have alot of money seeing that i am in high school and only getting payed about $7.50 an hour. i was looking at the lancer evo but they are prety expencive. how does the mitsubishi eclipse run?

Chiquae07
06-01-2008, 10:07 PM
honestly save up the cash and buy a manual civic coupe or hatch. most of them under 2000 still have the independant rear suspention, and you can have fun autoxing them and when you are ready, you can get an engine swap relativly cheap.
learn to drive before you go all out and get a 'fast car' and wrap it around a tree.

MZR_47
06-02-2008, 12:31 AM
yeah, but he can get decently quick first, like an older GTI or something like that. they have some giddyup, not too much though, and he wont kill himself in it.

Chiquae07
06-02-2008, 01:28 AM
^^eh, we are talking high school here. i myself have showed off my 'skills' to my friends about my madd jdm tight handling skills bought at walmart :). its just not cool when you have someone with a fairly quick car (honda prelude h22 vtec) want to follow you around turns on the road at the same speed, and cant control it, wrapping the car and hurting a couple buddies in the process.

me being as graduating high school last year, i still see it today. kids doing the same things, and it not going so good. i see more teen accidents than anyone, and its in mostly in the hours of the night, trying to 'cruise' and be in 'traffic'(as the call it here) with everyone else.

my brother which has recently gotten his lisence as well, drives the sentra like i do. not quite as fast around turns, but he is getting used to it. he also has great judgemental skills on when its appropriate and when it isnt. its a little different, but he does like to come autox with me and learn the car more and more. his spirited driving is in a 'controlled' envrionment. i guess you can say we are like the takahashi bros; i understand the techinical aspects to an extent, and he jsut knows how to drive....lmao.

Vip09
06-03-2008, 07:18 AM
The 2000+ GTS 6 speed is faster than the All-trac (stock for stock). As you add bolt-ons, the GTS is still usually faster (with a good driver). The All-trac is pretty slow until you upgrade the turbo.

CivRacer95
06-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Funny how we mention a members name around here...then suddenly they just pop in here...

very very odd...

Vip09
06-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Funny how we mention a members name around here...then suddenly they just pop in here...

very very odd...

:cool: Nah... I was just thinking about how I haven't checked out AF in a long time. Just thought I'd drop by and see what was going on!

Polygon
06-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Uhhh, street racing.

You can use any car for street racing as any dip shit with a license will do it. However, if you want a car that is fast as a drag racer the Celica isn't a great option but it wouldn't be a bad road racer.

MZR_47
06-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Good point about the teen crashes. We have so many people up here who try to keep up and show off yet end up killing themselves in the process. I am only a senior in high school, but I am one of the rare ones who knows when to keep their foot off the gas.

And I think that the GTS looks cooler than the alltrac anyways :) thats just my opinion, however. You will need to go by what you think, not what some guy over the internet thinks

Chiquae07
06-04-2008, 01:12 AM
the all trac looks meaner with a fmic. there is one at the university i went to. saw the thing everyday. thing straight up looked like a beast.

i still say thats wierd mention vips name and he shows up. maybe start mentioning tv and maybe he'll show up too? lol.

Vip09
06-04-2008, 07:26 AM
the all trac looks meaner with a fmic. there is one at the university i went to. saw the thing everyday. thing straight up looked like a beast..

I agree.. they do look mean! Here is mine right now. Still not finished.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/vip09/Alltrac/STP62434s.jpg

Chiquae07
06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
still not finished? i thought you took out the motor and rebuilt it basically. new bottom end, pistons, but diddnt touch the top end and was boosting around 16psi iirc? i remember that huge thread about it. not going to do any searching about it.

Sleepr awd
06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
16 psi? that's it???

come on vip, aim for 25!!!

Vip09
06-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I can't begin to describe the hell I've been through with this car. It's a little more involved than an engine rebuild. It's been on jack stands since November 2006. I can post up a project thread with pictures and everything.. not sure where I should put it though.

BTW.. I was running 12-13psi. I was still on the stock fuel system and ecu. Not any more though! :cool:

MZR_47
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
crap son, that FMIC does make that thing look like it has an appetite for children. Im talking stockies here, though :) You can do an alltrac up right and make them sexy.

And I would like to see the pictures of this thing coming to life

Add your comment to this topic!