Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 LeSabre Turning Noise

Wittychick
05-31-2008, 08:14 PM
When I turn the wheel, either left or right, there is an odd noise, which stops when the wheel back at center. The power steering fluid container is full and there is no loss of power. The noise is like a quiet and lower toned squeak and comes from somewhere other than the steering column. Please help!

maxwedge
06-01-2008, 09:43 AM
Welcome to AF, from where we are vague noise issues like this are almost impossible to diagnose, , have someone listen to this from ouside the car, hood open to try and pinpoint the location.

youngnip
06-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Hi. I had that noise too.Im Assuming the sound is more of a slight groaning sound when you turn the wheel and feel it very slightly in the steering wheel. I in time found it to be a light torque of the steering rack where its mounted to the cross beam. checked Bolts-- they were tight. Smeared some oil over the rack base where it met the beam. Not an issue any more. When I rust proof I aways give that area a good spray, front and back of the cross member where the rack is bolted.
Good luck.

lesabrefan
06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
youngnip, can you please "edumacate" me on where the "rack base where it met the beam" is located, I have the same sound and hoping to do away with it.
Thanks

youngnip
06-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi
I do own a 97 and the steering rack is at the back of the motor on thetop of the body mount . Its easy to see from underneath. I just had some one turn the wheel lightly back and forth and there was the noise.(urh urh) I think the its from when the underside body gets to dry. Sorry I may not have the terminology correct for the components. I am just a shadetree mechanic. Actually a better one with all this info on this site. Dont know what Id do with out everyone who shares info and experienece. By the way Im not sure of the suspension and steering design of a 2001. Should be similar but buick did change. Im just not sure what year. The experts gotta help me here.
YN

Add your comment to this topic!