Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 camaro v6 rough idle

94camarov6
05-30-2008, 10:17 PM
I have a 94 camaro with a 3.4 and it has an extremely rough idle. I am thinking that its in the egr valve but im not sure. I recently changed the plugs and wires and it got a little better. But it is still very rough, just to add the car has 180000 miles on it.

chevyrulespops
06-02-2008, 08:36 AM
I have a 94 camaro with a 3.4 and it has an extremely rough idle. I am thinking that its in the egr valve but im not sure. I recently changed the plugs and wires and it got a little better. But it is still very rough, just to add the car has 180000 miles on it.

Do you have a check engine light? Check the vacuum hoses for any leaks... With that kind of mileage I would purchase vacuum hoses and replace as much as possible. Are you losing any coolant? does it drive well when you get going? I would retighten the intake manifold just to eliminate that possiblilty. Check your plumbing going to the air cleaner and make sure that it doesnt have any holes in it and that the air filter is clean...Have you changed the PCV valve? does that have a digital egr valve? if u suspect that the computer is giving a signal to the egr at idle, check with a voltmeter to see if ur getting voltage with the wire disconnected. When you changed the plugs did u gap them properly? Does this car have a distributor or coil pack? With this kind of mileage we also have to consider whether the timing chain is worn and needs to be replaced..Your fuel injectors might also be taking a plunge..you have to check the resistance at each injector...good luck let us know if u fixed it

94camarov6
06-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Ok the code that its giving me is an egr code, i havent read the code in a while. Other things that i had done to teh car was changed the alternator. Then changed the serp. belt, after that the water pump started to leak so i replaced that and when i got everything off the timing chain was pretty worn so i replaced that as well. I took the egr off and tried to clean it out a little bit but im not sure what i was doing so i didnt want to mess anything up

chevyrulespops
06-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Im assuming you have a digital egr valve correct? I would replace it...if its staying open that would definitely cause a rough idle and even make the car shut off

Add your comment to this topic!