Grinding before and still after brake install

MiDnIgHt RuMbLeR
05-30-2008, 09:43 PM
I own a 2003 Ford Windstar (turning into a HUGE mistake) and I am having some problems with the front end. I could hear a grinding noise coming from the front upon stopping and figured I needed new brakes.

After replacing the rotors and pads,lubing the sliders and buttoning everything up, the grind seemed to have went away.

After one week of driving, I now have the grinding noise coming back when the vehicle is almost to a complete stop. The grinding is not constant and only seems to appear on heavy braking.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Lbert
05-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Check if the caliper piston is seizing.

tripletdaddy
05-31-2008, 03:11 AM
-Have you tried driving it without the hubcaps to see if they are making the noise?

-Could there be something wrong with your rim?

-Was there any uneven pad wear on the same wheel? or comparing pads from one side to the other?

-Was the caliper stuck on the pins so that it wouldn't self-center?

-Was the rotor in good condition?

-Is everything good and tight besides what you worked on at the knuckle?

-Sometimes the rock guard will vibrate.

-Did you use antirattle compound or shims on the back of the pads?

-I haven't personally experienced it, but others have said that the brakes can be caused to drag by a collapsed brake hose at the wheel, but it is not visible, so has to be felt by squeezing it.

hoofarted
05-31-2008, 04:51 AM
I own a 2003 Ford Windstar (turning into a HUGE mistake)

I own a 2002 mistake. Last Ford I'll ever buy:banghead: It's Toyota for me from now on.

The only advice I have is to stick with factory brake pads. I have tried several different types and brands and I've never been completly satisfied. Other brands have given me noises, vibrations, fading, etc... and be sure to have the rotors surfaced at every brake job.

MiDnIgHt RuMbLeR
05-31-2008, 11:20 AM
I used quality aftermarket parts as I do not fool around with brakes when it comes to performance. I have heard that this could be the reason as these windstars are very manotinous when it comes to breaks and they need the OEM parts installed.

I have done many of brake changes and never, never just replace pads, I always replace pads, rotors drums and shoes, the whole nine yards and I cannot say I have ever experienced a problem such as this.

Brakes wear was fine before I changed them but I figured they had about 40-50% life left I would just change them to get rid of the grinding sound.

After replacing as stated, the grinding sound still persists but only on heavy braking, not normal breaking as it did before the change.

I am still stumped.....

1. Caliper pistons are fine all 4

2. These are rims not hub caps and rims are fine

3. pads and rotors are brand new quality parts

4. anti-squeak is set on the back of the pads to reduce vibration

mundy5
05-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Midnight Rumbler,

I have experienced a similar issue on my '03. I replaced my front pads b/c of warped rotors. I had the rotors turned and new pads installed. I didn't purchase new hardware as my van only had 40,000 miles on it. And the grinding noise only comes at the very end of the braking and it is very intermittent. Aside from the grinding noise, I have no other braking issue.

I attribute the noise to the pads against the rotors. I'm surprised at your situations b/c you seemed to have replaced basically everything in your brake systems minus the calipers.

I have now been running on the new pads for over 13k miles and I have not noticed any additional wear on the rotors. So I'm just living with the intermittent noise. It also only happens on the passenger front brakes, not the drivers.

MiDnIgHt RuMbLeR
06-01-2008, 03:04 PM
MUNDY5,

Very interesting situation here. Seems we both have the same year vehicle and the same scenario.

My grinding noise is only coming from the passenger side as well and only upon the ending of braking as well.

I am leading to believe it may have something to do with the brake lines and the fluid not reaching the passenger side in time and therefore more pressure is applied to the drivers side and not the pasenger side which is where the grinding may be coming from.

They always state when bleeding the brakes, to start with the longest line and work towards the shortest line, in my opinion the drivers side would be the shortest of all lines and the passenger the second there after, may have something to do with brake fluid distribution.

I have never heard of this before but it could possibly make sense, more fluid travelling to the drivers side due to shorter line and not equalizing the brake fluid pressure.

Wonder if there is a fix to this scenario.....??????

mundy5
06-01-2008, 03:16 PM
you might be right, however, it does not explain the intermittent nature of the noise. Also note that it was not grinding with the oem pads b/4 I changed it. I changed the pads due to the warping of the rotors not grinding.

Add your comment to this topic!