Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Front Rotor problem!!!

Hungrycat7
05-26-2008, 04:26 PM
OK guys my mother bought an 06 G6 about two years ago. It only had 11 miles on it when she got it and everything appeared to be in great shape. When she hit 8K miles the brakes had quite a shake to them. She took it back and they machined the front rotors. Things were fine until she hit 13K miles and the same problem! The dealership once again machined the rotors and things were fine. But now she turned 16K miles this week and SURPRISE the brake problem is back again! I drove it this time and you can tell the rotors are warped! My question is what could be causing this on such a new car? Do you think something is wrong with the car or is the dealership doing something wrong? It is going back in this week so I was just looking for some advice. She is an old lady and very easy on the car especially the brakes so I am stumped!

grfnkl
05-26-2008, 10:46 PM
The rotors on the g6 are pretty crappy to be honest. I'm pretty hard on my brakes and I've warped them twice already. There could be a defect within the rotors themselves that's on the car. Another thought is if the dealer machines the rotors too much ( beyond specs) they will warp even faster. they normally don't warp that fast but I've heard some people complain about that once they put new rotors on they've been fine

cdiesel32
07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
I've been having this problem for about 2000 miles. The car shakes horribly when braking above 45 mph. I figured the rotors were warped but didn't bother with it. My vehicle just turned 36000 and it goes back to GM very soon.

Hungrycat7
07-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Well she just took the car back to Pontiac. They gave her the same shpeel. They told her they would just machine the rotors again. She got pissed and told them she wanted new ones. They had the car for a day and it came back with the same rotors just machined AGAIN!!! How many times do they plan on doing this before they just replace them?

grfnkl
07-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Well she just took the car back to Pontiac. They gave her the same shpeel. They told her they would just machine the rotors again. She got pissed and told them she wanted new ones. They had the car for a day and it came back with the same rotors just machined AGAIN!!! How many times do they plan on doing this before they just replace them?

I would tell her to go back and complain saying "that she feels unsafe if they constantly do this. What's next its going to break in half. " For the dealer they're are going the cheap route by machining them. Eventually one of two things will happen, either the car will get enough miles and they'll say that they should be replaced at your cost or they will cave and finally replace the rotors. That's complete BS though that they are machining rotors that warped several times. Good luck though!

levistar
08-07-2008, 07:55 PM
As with some other pontiac models (grand am to name one)...the front rotors are terribly weak. I had the same problem with my G6 and previous Grand am.
I knew the problem existed, and didn't even bother to complain to the dealer. I couldn't be bothered to bring the damn thing back every few thousand miles, so I simply replaced the rotors with a set of after markets. (not made by GM)
After 10,000 miles, I haven't had a problem. I'm not saying you should do the same. I'm just saying that even if GM replaces the rotors...It's gonna happen again.

Reg Saretsky
09-24-2008, 10:22 PM
As with some other pontiac models (grand am to name one)...the front rotors are terribly weak. I had the same problem with my G6 and previous Grand am.
I knew the problem existed, and didn't even bother to complain to the dealer. I couldn't be bothered to bring the damn thing back every few thousand miles, so I simply replaced the rotors with a set of after markets. (not made by GM)
After 10,000 miles, I haven't had a problem. I'm not saying you should do the same. I'm just saying that even if GM replaces the rotors...It's gonna happen again.

Bad rotors are endemmic to GMC cars . I have had great luck with a 42.50 Jasper rotor from Canadian Tire.
My theory is that Machining simply weakens a rotor,& if youare taking your brakes apart, you may as well replace a warped rotor with a new one.

Buy your replacement mounting bolts at Bolt supply House- 4.25 each for rotor frame bolts vrs 36.00 each at GMC...Same 10.9 strenght, lengh, pitch, 19 mm heads much easier to torque.

GTP Dad
09-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I would take the car back and ask that the rotors be replaced. If they have turned them three times they are probably below spec. especially given the fact that they are usually very thin today. They are not that expensive to replace anyway and the dealer shouldn't give you too much hassle. If they refuse ask to speak with the service manager and if that doesn't work go over his head to the district service folks. The number is listed in the owners manual.

Hungrycat7
09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Well just figured I would update everyone on the situation. The dealer continued to refuse to replace them. Finally we asked them to measure the thickness in front of us. Sure enough they put rotors on that car faster than you can even say rotor. I am sure, like mentioned by everyone here, they were far below specs.

A-Dog
09-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Well just figured I would update everyone on the situation. The dealer continued to refuse to replace them. Finally we asked them to measure the thickness in front of us. Sure enough they put rotors on that car faster than you can even say rotor. I am sure, like mentioned by everyone here, they were far below specs.

Good deal. i just got my G6 2 months ago, and read numerous stories online about how bad the rotors were so I wasn't going to take any chances. I gotta a set of new slotted and drilled rotors from r1concepts.com and haven't looked back. They're a helluva lot better and were almost $200 cheaper for all 4 vs. the dealer price for their crap. Put them on myself too and saved the labor costs.

Add your comment to this topic!