'76 Chevy C10 - Having Problems At Startup

Barclayd
05-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Well I've got a '76 Chevy and it was giving me some problems so I replaced the carb. Now it runs good...once I get going but when I first start it up, she wants to die if I don't feed her so I'm just wondering what this could be. It sounds like a choke problem to me...

curtis73
05-25-2008, 10:48 PM
sounds very choke-ish to me too. What kind of carb is it?

inafogg
05-25-2008, 11:15 PM
most rebuilts stay on the shelf too long never had any luck with rebuilt carbs.better off rebuilding it yourself.....but choke sounds right in your case

Barclayd
05-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Well see it's not a rebuilt. It's a new Edelbrock 600CFM with electric choke.

curtis73
05-26-2008, 02:44 PM
No carb will run properly "out of the box" like the manufacturer claims. If its the 1406 expect the idle and secondary circuits to be pretty lean. The choke you can set with a 1/16" drill bit. Set the choke (put it on by opening the throttle) when the engine is completely cold. Loosen the choke housing and rotate the plastic case to open the choke. Now stick the drill bit in and close it until it just touches. That should give you a good benchmark. Basically you want the choke plate loosely closing. If its still giving you fits, close it one click more. There won't be one setting that's right for all so don't hesitate to play with it until its right.

You might also try raising the cold idle a bit. Its possible you're getting the right choke setting but its not holding the idle high enough.

Once its fully warmed up, you might want to revisit idle settings. If its running lean it might be OK at warm idle but pulling out enough fuel to be noticeable when cold.

UncleBob
05-26-2008, 08:48 PM
either that or idle mixture

either way, things need to be adjusted

Barclayd
05-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah I adjusted it. I'm sure I did a fair job on it but I guess I could take it somewhere. See I wired up the choke directly to the battery and I'm not sure if that's how it should be. I hear it needs to be wired through the fuse box...

inafogg
05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
yeah it could create a short, should be hot with ignition on.....

curtis73
05-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Yeah I adjusted it. I'm sure I did a fair job on it but I guess I could take it somewhere. See I wired up the choke directly to the battery and I'm not sure if that's how it should be. I hear it needs to be wired through the fuse box...

Bingo... the choke should get 12v only when the key is on. I wire mine along with the ignition; just tee off the pink HEI wire straight to the choke coil.

Right now your choke is constantly thinking the engine is hot so it never closes during cold operation.

Add your comment to this topic!