Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Impala PS Dies when put in any gear

adrenalin2k4
05-23-2008, 08:35 AM
I have a 2000 Impala PS that dies when i put it into any gear. The engine starts up just fine and will run at idle and everything else just fine. No problem there.

The problem that just happened last night is when i put the car into any gear, it will die. I will then put it into park or nuetral and try again and it will do the same thing. The car only has 151,000 miles on it and i haven't had to much trouble with it at all.

I have checked the tranmission fluid and it is a pint low. But, i do not think that is the problem. I have just this morning unhook the battery to reset all the electronics and see what that does.

Other than that. i am not sure what the heck is wrong with this thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

maxwedge
05-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Even if you keep you foot on the gas?

adrenalin2k4
05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Even if you keep you foot on the gas?

Yep, even when i keep my foot on the gas. I have tried everything under the sun and the same thing happens. It just dies and dies hard....

j cAT
05-23-2008, 06:17 PM
I have a 2000 Impala PS that dies when i put it into any gear. The engine starts up just fine and will run at idle and everything else just fine. No problem there.

The problem that just happened last night is when i put the car into any gear, it will die. I will then put it into park or nuetral and try again and it will do the same thing. The car only has 151,000 miles on it and i haven't had to much trouble with it at all.

I have checked the tranmission fluid and it is a pint low. But, i do not think that is the problem. I have just this morning unhook the battery to reset all the electronics and see what that does.

Other than that. i am not sure what the heck is wrong with this thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

this to me appears to be a transmission problem....torque converter ...

how often do you replace transmission fluid and filter just curious...?

adrenalin2k4
05-23-2008, 08:19 PM
this to me appears to be a transmission problem....torque converter ...

how often do you replace transmission fluid and filter just curious...?

I changed the transmission filter and fluid when i first got it in 2005 and it had 113,000 miles on it then.

I did check the fluid this morning and it was right at a pint low.

Hmmm, torque converter....

maxwedge
05-24-2008, 08:21 AM
The TC will not usually lock up the trans, something internal is the issue, will the car roll in neutral, engine running?

adrenalin2k4
05-24-2008, 09:24 AM
The TC will not usually lock up the trans, something internal is the issue, will the car roll in neutral, engine running?

Yep, the car will roll in nuetral with the engine running...

j cAT
05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I changed the transmission filter and fluid when i first got it in 2005 and it had 113,000 miles on it then.

I did check the fluid this morning and it was right at a pint low.

Hmmm, torque converter....

thanks for that info ..also you are not the original owner so it is possible the that was the first time fluid was replaced....

adrenalin2k4
05-25-2008, 09:23 AM
thanks for that info ..also you are not the original owner so it is possible the that was the first time fluid was replaced....

I believe that too.

I am just hoping for some sort of info, so i can see how much this is going to cost.

Thanks for the replies....

j cAT
05-25-2008, 09:27 AM
I believe that too.

I am just hoping for some sort of info, so i can see how much this is going to cost.

call the local transmission repair shops to get an idea on the cost...

j cAT
05-25-2008, 10:12 AM
I believe that too.

the TCC is a solenoid in the transmission it is an electricially computer controlled valve...this allows for slippage to occur when engine is at normal idle speeds.....this then allows the engine to not be loaded down that it stalls...

if this valve is stuck or commanded to to engage, the torque converter , will not allow slippage ...if this is the only problem [the valve is stuck] to replace this valve should not be too expensive...

Add your comment to this topic!