Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Chevelle versus Olds. 442

LiveInThePast
05-22-2008, 10:58 PM
alright so im lloking to buy an old muscle and as of right now im jammed between two great cars
i would like to know your thoughts comparing and contrasting the two
potential, reliabilty, and overall strength
: ]

72chevelleOhio
05-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Kinda one sided posting in the Chevelle forum...
"Eye of the beholder" always applies, its YOUR call...what one do you like more? If you can't decide, maybe once you go looking, price and condition will decide for you....
If you get an Olds, ideally the engine should be "built" already or have a small block Chevy in it. (since you wanted it cheap in your other thread)
The Chevelles have more parts readily available. More parts usually means cheaper.
:2cents:

MrPbody
05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
For a fair comparison, be sure to look at Chevelle SS and 442, not Malibu. Small blocks aren't enough for the heavy car if it's to "run" with another heavy car with a larger engine. Muscle cars don't have small blocks... (:-

The Olds is okay, but the Chevelle is more popular and IMO, better looking. From a performance point of view, there's no real comparison. The SS396 will run the socks off all but the W-30 Olds', and even some of those. An SS454 is pretty much "out of reach" for a 442 if both are "stock". Many more "goodies" available for Chevelle, too. The Olds DOES have a slight edge in cornering ability, as the BBC makes the Chevelle a bit nose-heavy. But it can MORE than make up for it in a straight line.

Jim

72chevelleOhio
05-28-2008, 02:29 AM
Jim
This thread (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=905062)...is what I was referring to.
Thats why I would suggest a small block Malibu..He's wanting to race it, probably tub it later. I would rather that be an SS clone Malibu then a real SS.
He's also wanting to keep it around $8,000.
If you find a true big block SS for around 8 grand that doesnt need body work, send that link to me!....:smile:

(not arguing, just explaining why I wrote what I wrote)

Muscle cars don't have small blocks..
BACK OFF!!! I'm working on it! :tongue:

(and the smilie cant spit enough! :lol: )

ilgoldstein
08-25-2009, 03:19 AM
I love Chevelles, I have a Chevelle, but there is something to be said for the Olds. Being less common and less "popular" is actually a plus because a good 442 is a pretty special thing. I haven't read your other threads so I don't know your intentions for the car. I'd suspect more high performance goodies are out there for Chevys, and more restro parts as well, but like I said, and Oldsmobile is more unique.

For instance, I recently went to a local street car show, and there were so many tri 5's out there in various states that I practically stopped looking at them. Same with the Camaros and the 'stangs. But the Packard sure caught my eye, as did the Pontiacs.

Add your comment to this topic!