Steering ???

STINKINLINCOLN
05-22-2008, 12:27 PM
ANY THOUGHTS AS TO WHAT THIS MAY BE ?
IN THE MORNING I START THE CAR AND DRIVE IT FOR ABOUT 2KMS ARE SO AND THE CAR STEERS FINE THEN IT GET REALLY HARD TO TURN ALMOST LIKE THERE IS NO POWER STEERING ?? IF I GIVE THE CAR GAS AS I TURN ITS FINE AND THE CAR MAKE A GOOD TURN BUT IF THERE IS NO GAS AND THE CAR IS JUST ROLLING THEN IT GIVES ME A WORK OUT WITH BOTH HANDS TRYING TO TURN THE WHEEL WHAT COULD THIS BE ? ??AND WHY:screwy: :screwy: :banghead:

xeroinfinity
05-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Didnt you replace the pump a while back ?

Did you also flush the system ?

STINKINLINCOLN
05-23-2008, 10:54 AM
no I was going to but I have still been driving the car with the steering like this I dont want to have to change the pump ( buy a new pump unless Im sure)
I have not flushed the system is this somthing I should try first ? if so what is the best way to do that ?

xeroinfinity
05-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I would bet money your pump is bad... you are in luck with the flush and install. I threw some things together the last time we discussed your troubles. See the link below :thumbsup:

N Body Tips and Maintenance (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2148)

It is recommended to flush the system BEFORE replacing the pump or rack & pinion.
And replacing your power steering hoses would be something else to consider, since they degrade over time and clog/damage your PS pump and usualy void any warranty on these components.

You can buy a new pump between $45-80 + core charge.
The hardest part is probley getting the pump off the car.

STINKINLINCOLN
05-24-2008, 05:09 PM
THANKS FOR THE HELP
so these steps are for a new power steering pump right? what do you think about getting a used one from the junk yard ? its my understand that there is just the 3 1/2 bolts holing the pump in is this right ? anything else that would need to be removed?

xeroinfinity
05-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Yip the pics in those procedures was my GA GT which is the same as your Alero.

I wouldnt even mess with a used pump, to much of a hassle IMO.
As you need to pull the pulley, and to get those 3 bolts, your motor mount has to come loose. Which adds more time for this project then necessary. just check out those threads and you'll see whats involved.

Enjoy your weekend ! :D

inafogg
05-24-2008, 07:02 PM
i agree especially if we're talking about a $50-80 part to much hassel good luck

xeroinfinity
05-24-2008, 07:34 PM
yeah I think advance and the zone have pumps for around $45-50 + core, Napa pumps run around $80and up + core.

Hell the rack & pinoin prices dropped recently on these too.

Have a Great Weekend guys ! :cheers:

STINKINLINCOLN
05-25-2008, 10:04 PM
hey thanks Im going to get a new one I live in Canada so I dont have a advance Auto parts herebut I know there is a napa and a few other well know auto parts stores here I will price one out on monday !

STINKINLINCOLN
05-25-2008, 10:04 PM
hey thanks Im going to get a new one I live in Canada so I dont have a advance Auto parts here but I know there is a napa and a few other well know auto parts stores here I will price one out on monday !

Add your comment to this topic!