Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

House of Kolor 4oz airbrush ready paint question

Sixx
05-15-2008, 06:33 PM
I just recently bought some HOK 4oz airbrush ready kandy colors. Not the stuff from Walmart, but from TCP Global.
Of course, they didn't come with instructions on how to use them.

It came with a silver base and a gold base or at least I'm assuming they're meant for a base coat, though I do question it because they are also 4oz each, seems not enough to really get some painting done.

it also came with a urethane reducer.

I thought the airbrush ready paints were just that, ready to be shot.

Would the reducer be extra, just in case I wanted to reduce (thin) it more?

I did a search and found several threads about HOK paints, but they seem to mostly relate to the Walmart brand that they carry.

MPWR
05-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Personally I almost never believe 'prethinned for airbrushing' claims. In my experience, premixed auto lacquers always need more reducer to spray best. I haven't used HOK (and would be curious to hear your opinions when you've tried them), but I suspect that while they will spray out of an airbrush unthinned, they will behave best cut with more reducer. I like to spray with as much reducer as possible, and at the lowest pressure possible.

4oz seems plenty. I can easily paint a body with an ounce or less of paint.

Didymus
05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
The standard mix for automotive urethanes is 1 part paint to 1 part reducer. That's probably what HOK uses. I agree with MPWR that you can probably reduce it a bit more.

One of the great things about urethane base is the way it covers. A very thin coat completely hides the color or primer that's underneath it, so it can be thinned quite a bit. If you over-thin it a bit, no harm done. Just wait a few minutes and give it another coat. You'll need to clear coat over it, of course, unless you want a satin finish.

I only use non-metallics, so it's much cheaper for me to buy unthinned Dupont single-part urethane touch-up paint ($14 for 2 oz) and then thin it 1:1+ myself. I've found that regular lacquer thinner works just as well as urethane reducer, and it seems a lot less toxic.

Ddms

Twowheelsrule
05-16-2008, 12:09 PM
I have bought and used the urethane paint in question. I have used the 2 oz metallic bases coats and their white paint. I found that for a 1/24th car there is about twice as much paint as I needed maybe more. The paint covers nicely as supplied.

The paint is ready to airbrush directly out of the container and that is what I was able to do with it. The reducer is so, that if you need a thinner mixer to make the paint go on in thinner coats or if you what a different drying speed.

I recommend the paint to anyone.
Mark

P.S. I have found that Tamiya paint and the HOK paint can be used on under each other. TEST BEFORE YOU TRY THOUGH>

Add your comment to this topic!