Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98GS Driver information instrument failure

johnsonace
05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a 98 GS w/164K mi. that is experiencing an intermittant failure of the driver information instrument (MPG, SC press., range, oil life, etc).
It's quit a few times and come back after a few days but I'm affaid this time it may not.
Any clues about how to troubleshoot the problem and what kind of a fix it will take. It's obviously symtomatic of a loose connection, but how to start checking?
Any suggestions welcome.

BNaylor
05-13-2008, 09:13 PM
More of an internal issue with the IP Cluster. Here is a DIY fix which involves removing the IP that may work.

Click here (http://www.regalgs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31452&highlight=dash)

Or you can send the IP to Southern Electronics at 1-800-572-2880 where they charge a flat rate for repair.

johnsonace
05-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Bob:
Thanks for the link. The repair described seems pretty extreme and looks like it could kill the whole IP cluster if a mistake were made, (very likely with my soldering skills).
Sending it away would mean downtime for the car which isn't a good option for me right now.
The DIC came back to life again, so I guess I won't do anything right now.
I guess a salvaged or rebuilt IP cluster would be an option if it comes to that.
Best regards,

BNaylor
05-15-2008, 09:29 AM
You're welcome. Never any good options when it come to the IP/DIC and intermittent issues such as this. The problem with a new or salvaged/used IP is the odometer module located in the IP would need to be programmed with your existing mileage so that is something to keep in mind. Southern Electronics does odometer module programming just for future reference. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!