Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

10 min. drive/dies/weird noise

toolman66
05-12-2008, 09:45 AM
My son has a 92 Lebaron. We can not figure out the problem. He will drive it for 10 mins. and it will stall out.When we open the hood we hear a clicking sound like something from star wars. It will only run for 10 mins. I still think it might have something to do with the fan? Can anyone help?

Lee_Baron
05-13-2008, 10:15 AM
clicking eh? well, does it make that when it's running? Of course you can't hear it then, right... Well feel around for a clicking relay (a bunch in a little fuse box) or solenoid (?) and ID what it is. I can't see a fan relay killing the engine. But anything is possible in our wired up cars. Stuff that aint supposed to happen - happens...

My GTC conv has an immobilizer that clicks, flashing the 4-ways, but it is in the glove box. It also kills the fuel, but sooner than 10 min.
The fuel pump relay is in the underhood fusebox. LId says which one it is. if you jumper the contacts. Look for 30 and 87 on the relay and jumper those contacts on the relay panel. Fuel pump will start (a hummin whine in the gas tank).

But this is not a permanent solution as your pump will run all the time and burn out, as well as a safety hazard ( it could spray gas all over, blowtorching you - I've seen the aftermath, it is not pretty, a person literally cannot get out of the car fast enough - this is the only real arguement for a carb I can think of) Anyway if the pump solves the problem, then it narrows down the solution.

madmanmapper
05-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Relay clicking? You may want to check your charging system. I had a Jeep Cherokee that had some *WEIRD* electrical problems including all the relays clicking at once. Replaced the battery and it was perfectly fine. Even with a strong battery charger hooked up, or after charging the battery, still had that problem. Your car might have an alternator problem. Check it all + fuses.

Add your comment to this topic!