over full oil

jveik
05-12-2008, 12:24 AM
my friend who is really stupid when it comes to cars was driving in front of me and another friend in his late 70's truck and we noticed his left tailpipe was emitting a lot of bluish-white smoke. we had him pull over and it appeared that his oil level was terribly too high. when we changed the oil, we put in about 6.5 quarts including what filled the filter. He had only added oil since he bought it a year ago without even checking the dipstick, so we used the empty quarts to see how much oil was in there, and it was about 9.5 quarts plus whatever had spilled on the ground. When we made him stop earlier in the day, i checked his oil pressure guage and it was very low at idle and only improved to about 15 psi on the guage at any rpm level. after we changed the oil, it would hit about 30 after you let off the gas (it jumped momentarily like many chevy engines seem to do after letting off the gas). we also changed all the spark plugs on the left side that was burning all the oil. it was dark by this time and we couldn't tell if it was still smoking or not.

does anyone here know if that over-full condition would really mess something up, since we are sure that the crank was frothing up the oil?

is his oil pressure problem permanent, or can we possibly run some sea foam through it to clean it out? a friend of mine told me that the really crappy oil may have clogged up his oil pump or i suggested maybe the oil passages and a good cleaner may be needed. any ideas from you guys? by the way, it's a big block 454

randy78
05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
did the old oil smell like anything at all other than oil ?

was it real thin and like water runny ?

i suspect something is bad wrong

ruptured fuel pump or something else bad

need more details/info here

good luck

jveik
05-14-2008, 11:20 PM
funny you should mention the fuel pump, since his is leaking like a sieve. i heard that too much oil would mess with stuff like the oil pan gasket and whatnot. the oil was not very viscous, but it didnt have any foreign matter or anything in it. I can tell he messed it up over time because he said it used to have 60 pounds of pressure on the guage and now it will only make it up to 15 or 20 on the guage no matter what rpm it is turning. when you let off the gas it spikes momentarily like many other vehicles i have noticed. when it spikes it might hit 30 pounds for a split second and jump back down to about 15. this kid really needs to stop smokin so much weed, since it makes him do stupid stuff like this

when you mention ruptured fuel pump, could it possibly have pumped fuel into the crankcase through the pushrod hole?

silicon212
05-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Yes.

Add your comment to this topic!